1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I make enabled guest accounts invisible on login screen?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by readytoscream, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. readytoscream

readytoscream Thread Starter

When searching yesterday for networking help, I saw something about enabling guest accounts but making them invisible. Now I can't find that. My guest account is enabled, but I don't want it showing up on my log in screen. How do I make it invisible.
    Thank you!

2. readytoscream

readytoscream Thread Starter

When searching yesterday for networking help yesterday, I saw something about enabling guest accounts but making them invisible. Now I can't find that post anywhere. My guest account is enabled, but I don't want it showing up on my log in screen. How do I make it invisible?
    Thank you!

3. kylefx

kylefx

The TweakUI powertoy for XP has a feature under "logon" which allows you to show or hide computer users from the logon screen. I'm not sure if it works for the guest account or not though. :)

4. Ratboy

Ratboy

Hiding User Accounts (WinXP):

Start REGEDIT and go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
    SpecialAccounts\UserList

Create a new DWORD value with the exact spelling as the username of the account you want to hide. Give it a value of 0 to hide it. Change the value to 1 to unhide it.

To log on to the invisible account, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete at the log-on screen and log-on with the username and the password. Remember that the username will still be visible in the Documents and Settings folder.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please do not create multiple threads for the same issue, merged here.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/674096