Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do I make Outlook 2007 my default mail account?

11K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  EAFiedler 
#1 ·
I have installed Office 2007 (I am still running Windows XP) and want to use Outlook 2007 as my default mail. I am running Outlook Express at present. I followed Microsoft's instructions to import all my folders across but when I tried to import account name and account settings from Outlook Express under the Import and Export facility in Outlook I clicked Import Internet Mail Account Settings and then Next but received a message saying there were no other Internet accounts. My mail is still only being sent and received from Outlook Express. When I open Outlook 2007 it asks if I want to make it my default and I clicked yes but my mail is still only being sent and received from Outlook Express. Can you advise how I make Outlook 2007 my default mail account?
Hope this all makes sense!
Thx :confused:

#2 ·
Click on the "Start" button, and choose "Set Program Access and Defaults." If it's not in that first menu, you may have to go to "control panel," and then "add/remove programs" and on the right you will find "set program access and defaults."

Choose the "custom" button. Open the Outlook 2007 and have the Outlook Express closed

Under the "choose a default email program," choose the "Use my current email program" button. Make sure you put a mark in the "enable access to this program" button for the OE, though, so that you can still access it if you want.

Click okay.

Go to Start > Control panel > Network and Internet Connections > Internet Options.

In the "programs" tab, make sure that Outlook 2007 is listed for the email program.

#4 ·
Try changing this:

Under the "choose a default email program," choose the "Use my current email program" button. Make sure you put a mark in the "enable access to this program" button for the OE, though, so that you can still access it if you want.
to taking out the mark to allow access to that program, and see if that works. If you don't use OE much or at all, it may not be an issue for you to not have immediate access to it.

#5 ·
Hi montenegro

If changing the default e-mail settings do not seem to be working, double check your e-mail account settings in Outlook 2007. The Import may not have imported all the settings required.
In Outlook 2007:
Tools > Account settings > Email tab

You may need to reenter your e-mail account and server settings manually.

When you click Send/Receive in Outlook 2007 are you receiving any error messages?

If you are using Outlook Express to download your messages and you do not have the option Leave a copy of messages on server enabled there will not be any messages left, on the server, for Outlook 2007 to download.

#6 ·
Hi, EAFielder

Under email tab it reads:
Name
Symantec Fax Starter Edition
Type
POP/SMTP (send from this account by default)

I do not get an error message when clicking send/receive the sent message just stays in the Outbox in Outlook 2007

Where is the option Leave a copy of message on server?

Sorry I must sound vague - but am out of my league here with you techies!!

thx :confused:

#7 ·
The name Symantec Fax Starter Edition doesn't sound like a typical default name for an e-mail account. :confused:

Are you using a Symantec product as your Firewall? Does it also include an anti-virus program?

In Outlook 2007:
Tools > Account settings > Email tab
Double click the entry: Symantec Fax Starter Edition

A window with your e-mail settings should appear.
Verify those settings match the e-mail account settings in Outlook Express.

If the account settings match what you have in Outlook Express,
Click the More Settings button, then click the Advanced tab.
Place a check mark in: Leave a copy of messages on the server
Click the Outgoing Server tab and place a check mark in: My server requires authentication
  • Use same settings as my incoming mail server should be selected.
Click OK, Next and Finish
Send a Test message addressed to yourself.

Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?

#8 ·
Hi EAFiedler,

Many thanks for reply
I have entered all the same settings in Outlook 2007 as OE.
Re Outgoing Server when I checked My Server requires authentification the test message failed but when I unchecked it the test message went from Outlook 2007 but was delivered into OE inbox!

I am now suicidal!

Cheers
:(

#9 ·
Do you use Outlook Express and Outlook 2007?

If you are checking messages using Outlook Express and want the messages available for Outlook 2007, you need to have the option: Leave a copy of messages on the server enabled in Outlook Express.

In Outlook Express:
Tools > Accounts > Account Name > Properties > Advanced tab
Place a check mark in: Leave a copy of messages on the server
Apply, OK, Close

Repeat for each additional e-mail account.

Send a Test message addressed to yourself from Outlook 2007, it should arrive in Outlook 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.