1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I make sql server 2000 desktop engine...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trist007, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trist007

trist007 Thread Starter

open to network connections? I installed msde2000.exe on default instance and it is running in the system bar with the green play on it. Yet, when I pull up netstat -a, nothing shows up. I also tried, setup SAPWD="XXX" DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 and still ports 1434 udp and 1433 tcp were closed. How do I configure sql server 2000 desktop engine to use those ports?

I am aware of the security vulnerability.

I am using the msde2000.exe v8.00.194 on a windows xp pro sp3 os

I've been looking at the netstat -a output and there's stuff that is connecting to some wierd websites. How do I shut those ports down? Also, is there a command in the cmd shell to display all services with ids so I can kill or stop some. Also, I dont have the kill binary, where can I download it, would I have to compile it or do I just copy it to the windows\system32 dir?

2. trist007

trist007 Thread Starter

3. trist007

trist007 Thread Starter

4. jdean

jdean

Instead of netstat and kill, I would suggest that you get a good firewall and configure it to run in "learning mode" where it prompts you on new connections. I use Sunbelt Personal Firewall (the free version) and it works quite well for this purpose.

I don't know about SQL Server but surely you can Google and find something. For example, I did a quick search and came up with this article:

http://www.aquafold.com/docs-register-msde.html

I certainly don't want to discourage you from using the forums here, but when I have a question like this, I find that I can get it answered faster by doing a search than I can by posting a question. I use the forums when I can't find an answer.

Hope you find this helpful...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice