1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I Make XP STOP Going To Sleep Then Asking For Password?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by luky, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luky

luky Thread Starter

really losing my patience on this one, so any help would be greatly appreciated ...
    XP Pro SP3 on DELL Dimension 4550
    Ive been googling and for the most part see the same suggestion offered as a fix:

"right click desktop – properties – screen saver tab – power button – change monitor and hard drive turn off to the desired time period"

as well as this for the password issue:

"Log on to your computer as an administrator. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. - Click Performance and Maintenance. - Click Power Options. - Click Advanced tab. - Under “Options” section, uncheck the check box for Prompt for password when computer resume from standby opton."

ive seen this suggested over and over and have applied the steps in both my limited account and in the admin account. still keeps doing the same thing.
    • I'd like to note that i saw one thing mentioned that i have not tried because i wasnt sure how to proceed.
    i saw someone mention the power management settings in the BIOS. BUT when i entered the BIOS, i wasnt sure what might be safe to change / disable / etc.,etc...
    any other thoughts ideas / tips?
    thanks all

P.S.
    this is a work computer so i apologize if i dont update or reply right away

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check your screensaver and power options.

3. luky

luky Thread Starter

hi there Elvandil, Noted. BUT as mentioned thats one of the things that ive tried already. any other ideas? and thanks for chiming in.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Was your post that long before? Maybe I read it before it was completed.:D

Right-click the Desktop and choose Properties (or Personalization). Open the screensaver options. There is a box on that dialog about logging in when resuming from the screensaver. That may be the one you missed if you have already changed the power options.

(If this is a work computer, it may be a domain policy and you don't have the rights to change it.)

5. luky

luky Thread Starter

gotya Elvandil, all is really cool i just recently reinstalled and not by any means trying to do anything shady (referring to your comment in the thread you closed) i did the reinstall myself here at work and its no where near being set up to the network yet, unless it detects it and does it automatically during the install. do you think that might be the case? again - all is copacetic, i appreciate the feedback and concern.

6. galoryber

galoryber

During the install, you have the option to select your workgroup or domain to join. If it was successfully joined at that point in the install, then it could be a policy as mentioned by Elvandil.

7. luky

luky Thread Starter

thanks for clarifying ....
    well i can tell you that i do indeed recall that and opted NOT to join the network because i didnt know the workgroup name and something else that it asked for.
    i cant remember what it was but i believe that i blew past it without setting it up.
    on my way back there now - stopped at home for lunch : )
    ill check

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Contact your company IT department or your system administrator.

I don't believe we can help you any further with this.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!