1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I map a drive through XP firewall

Discussion in 'Networking' started by markmoran, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markmoran

markmoran Thread Starter

Hi

I have 2 PCs (XP pro) sitting behind a router (connected to ADSL). Each PC is running a dev webserver and has fixed IPs from the ISP. Each runs XP internet firewall with Port 80 open for HTTP traffic only. This all works fine.

However, I want to be able to share files between the 2 PCs (for backups etc). I can't see a way to allow this using XP firewall (short of allowing FTP or similar). I would like to be able to map a drive if possible.

If this is not possible with XP firewall, is there something else that will do the job (short of buying a hardware firewall).

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2. plucnik

plucnik

Service Pack 2 is available for XP and it comes with a better (and better explained) version of the firewall. I thought that it's so user friendly that I took ZoneAlarm (which makes a great product) off of my PC's and is using the MS version now. Without jumping through any other hoops, I would suggest trying that first.

3. markmoran

markmoran Thread Starter

SP2 for XP? - I haven't heard of it. Are you talking about a specific patch that doesn't come as part of windows update?

4. plucnik

plucnik

Service packs are Microsoft's way of fixing what they should have fixed the first time. They are batch collections of fixes and updates to their software that saves the end user the time and trouble of downloading and installing them one at a time. There's also a school of thought regarding installing service packs that is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Myself, I kinda live "on the edge" and install the upgrades that they offer. You can download SP2 from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx or if you have a slow internet connection, you can order the disk from them. I attended a freebie MS Security Summit that they held a few weeks ago in Chicago and the MS people couldn't shut up about the improvements that the SP2 brings. (of course, what else are they gonna say?) I dunno, I figure that I'm hitching my wagon to the guy with the $40 billion.

5. markmoran

markmoran Thread Starter

Thx - I do understand the concept of Service Packs - just couldn't see SP2 on the website. That's because its still in "preview" phase. I'll give it a go though.

I'm also going to try zone alarm as an alternative - just to compare.

Thanks for your help.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

7. markmoran

markmoran Thread Starter

Thanks Bob. This article gets me a stage further. I opened up port 445 to allow filesharing and I can now see the mapped drives in My Network Places. However when I try to click on them I get "inaccessible" errors, do not have permission etc. If I switch the firewall off, I get in straight away. Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance, Mark.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Establish an account on the machine with the shared resource that matches the name/password of the client machine attempting to access the share.

9. markmoran

markmoran Thread Starter

Thanks John - I tried that but still had the same issue. Then I tried to do it using IP address rather than computer name and it worked - so I just need to remap my drives. (y)

The weird thing is, when I add the port 445 under the firewall settings, I put in the IP address of the host but when I go back to it later it has auto changed this to the machine name - yet it still can't resolve using the machine name (only using the IP). Seems a bit mad to me but at leats I' up and running now.

Thanks all for your help, Mark.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice