1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I Move Favorites from Old to New Computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bamdenton, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bamdenton

bamdenton Thread Starter

How do I move my favorites from my old Dell laptop running Windows 98 2nd edition to my "new" Toshiba which is running Windows 2000 Professional edition? My daughter gave me her old Toshiba so I can run my internet sevice with cable instead of dialup and what a difference. But I have way too many favorites to load by hand. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bill

2. a9tt3r

a9tt3r

If you can, go into internet explorer, copy and paste ALL the files in the Favourites menu onto a floppy or flash drive. Then transfer from there. Now im not sure about the location of the favourites folder in Windows 2000, but it might be:

C:\Winnt\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Favourites

If it is, then go there and whip all the favourites files from the floppy or usb there, and ur done. If not, then find the location. Try searching for it ;)

3. alankearn

alankearn

Start/Programs/Windows Explorer/Windows/Favorites

Then
    Edit/Select All/Copy/ after that "Copy to CD or Floppy" then copy and paste to your Windows 2000 Favorites folder

4. bamdenton

bamdenton Thread Starter

Thanks, I've copied my favories to a floppy, but discovered I have to buy an external reader for my Toshiba, but will do and it should work or I'll be back with what happened. Again, thank you. Bill

5. bamdenton

bamdenton Thread Starter

I bought a USB floppy drive to copy my favorites to my new computer, but it will not copy. When selecting the copy function, I get a popup that only allows me to copy from the floppy drive to the same floppy drive, and does not allow me to change copy to selection. The copy and paste functions in the edit position are grayed out. At this time, I can only read from the floppy drive, but I want to transfer the data. Any more help will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you have a USB FLASH drive? They're dirt-cheap nowadays, and much handier and higher capacity than floppies.

What happens if you just use Windows Explorer to open that floppy drive and drag the Favorites folder to the hard disk

7. bamdenton

bamdenton Thread Starter

Computer will not allow me to drag data from floppy to favorites folder. Any other suggestions except to buy a flash drive and try to dom the same? Thanks, Bill

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

In internet explorer goto the File at the top and then down to Import and Export and use the wizard all you then do is send the stuff to the drive you wish and then take it to the Win 2000 and do the same thing except you import.

Then go use them.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm still curious why you can't copy the files from the floppy, that makes no sense to me.

10. bamdenton

bamdenton Thread Starter

I'm still stuck and can't copy my favorites from my floppy d rive to my new computer as the copy function is grayed out and I can not select it.
    As far as the import/export wizard goes when I select that option a popup window comes up, and gives the option to import favorites from my hard drive C which I already have. When i change it to 3 1/1 floppy drive (B:) it says this is not the correct path, address or URL. Maybe you can help me from here. Thanks, Bill I guess I need to know the correct name for the floppy drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!