1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do i move icons to quicklaunch and hide unused ones? win 95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by takatomon1, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. takatomon1

takatomon1 Thread Starter

as my subject says, i want my desktop to be icon free. i don't know how to move them to my quick launch where they can be out of site when the task bar is hidden. i've tried cutting and pasting but can't get that to work. i'd also like to hide of all those darn installation icons that don't access their programs directly. why do installations need to create multiple icons? why do desktop icons need that ugly arrow box so often? whywhywhy? lol:D

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

drag icons from the desktop to the quicklaunch bar....

When you right-click a blank space on the desktop, and then point to Active Desktop, additional commands also become available which enable you to add, customize, and update desktop items:

Show Desktop Icons displays or hides the icons on the desktop

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

The arrow indicates the icon is a shortcut, and not a direct reference to a program. You can remove the arrow from your icons in TweakUI on the Explorer tab. TweakUI is also useful in removing system icons from the Desktop. You might want to backup your registry before playing with TweakUI too much.

If you don't have TweakUI, you can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp

The easiest way to get a shortcut to the QuickLaunch area is to drag it from the Desktop (or wherever).

You could, in fact, create a shortcut to a folder you create called Desktop Icons (or whatever you like), drag your infrequently-used desktop shortcuts into it, then create a shortcut to that folder and drag it to the QuickLaunch area. You would then have all of the shortcuts you rarely use out of the way, but still available in one small area on the QuickLaunch toolbar.

4. slipe

slipe

I’ve never had an installation put anything on my desktop but a shortcut to run the program that could easily be removed. If you are downloading directly to your desktop, I would guess the icons on your desktop represent the downloads that can be removed after you install the program. Most people create a download folder in Windows Explorer and download to that. It keeps stuff off of the desktop.

I like the shortcut arrows. If an icon has one I know I can remove it without repercussions. All of the icons on my desktop without the arrow have useful dialog boxes that open when I right click on them and select properties. I can’t understand why anyone would go to trouble to remove useable information. That’s OK – I don’t understand poetry either.

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I never answered the second part of your question.
    So hear goes a shot at it. When you download anything you'll have a temporary setup file that you have received. Then while installing it you have a choice of where to install the program to... You will select my documents or program or accessories etc... .. Program files normally will make a shortcut file & place it on your desktop. You do not need to keep it though unless you want to. However you may drag it to the quicklaunch before you delete it, which will give you a direct starting point. (I use my quicklaunch religiously.)
    After you drag it to quicklaunch you may then delete the icon on the desktop....but only "IF" theres an arrow showing up on it. Now that should explain to you why arrows are on them as well.

6. buf

buf

Perhaps this will satisfy your needs. Sorry that I don't have a link for you click on but do a search for--bananas software and look for cool desktop 2.3. Put it on your desktop and it will hide your desktop icons and it is there for you when you want to reveal them. Good luck and let us know about your results.

7. takatomon1

takatomon1 Thread Starter

oh the reason i couldn't drag and drop before was that i wasn't right clicking! :rolleyes: i had done it before, but forgot how. my desktop is much neater looking now thank you. i like my quicklaunch as i've set it up to autohide. i like that feature alot. i wish i could autohide the top toolbars too. ;) now everything i want including my recycle bin is right where i want it and out of the way until i want it. i am definately going to buy a tee-shirt to show my support now! :cool: this site is the best site in the entire world. okay... it's not at all entertaining... :eek: lol, but it is THE essential site! :D

8. buf

buf

takatomon1:
    If you like using the quick launch bar so much, you might want to grab hold of it and drag it up the side of your screen. It may take a bit of playing with it but you can station it there and then you can ADD about 25+ icons to it as opposed to what, maybe 10/12 if it is on the bottom. You can also hide it there. AND if you want to make your screen a little larger(you said you wish you could hide the tool bar/address box) just get the double pointed arrow on the area just under neath the address box and take it up. You can always reverse these actions if you later want to. Happy surfing and remember to post back your results.
    BTW, I got the idea of the quick launch bar idea from a friend and I use it extensively. (I have mine on the left side of the screen.)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice