1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I network two computers at home?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Panzer4, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Panzer4

Panzer4 Thread Starter

I'm building a new computer and (when it's finished) I'd like to network it with my old one. The old one has an ethernet card and the new one will have an Abit AV8 mobo which has "LAN Gigabit" on it. I have a DSL connection. The two will be near each other in the same room. From what I've been able to learn so far, I'll need a hub to connect them, but other than that I'm in the dark as to what I'll need. Advice would be appreciated.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you want both computers to access the Internet I would suggest buying a cheap Router.

3. Panzer4

Panzer4 Thread Starter

Okay. Any recommendations?

4. bigk

bigk

Actually I hub should do the work for now. It really depends on what you want to do with your network. You can set it up to share a printer or a certin folder or the whole hard drive. What are the types of things you want to do with this network?

big k :)

5. Panzer4

Panzer4 Thread Starter

I'd like to be able to have free access to all resources from each, i.e., internet, printer, and all files.

6. bigk

bigk

Here's how you do your own network.
    So you have two computers....

Computer #1 is your older one and computer #2 is your newer one. (or you can have it any way you like.)

Here's what you need to do your own net work:

• 2 cat 5 cable (All ends of there little clippys)
    • 2 or more computers
    • Both have windows (its possable to have other OS's on the network but I don't know how.)
    • A hub, router, or switch.

So here is a step by step instruction done by me:

1. Plug in both wires in the hub.
    2. Plug one end in one in computer #1 and grab the other cable and plug that in computer #2.
    3. Turn on the hub and then both computers and and enter windows.
    4. Got to computer #1.
    5. Set up a network. (Find your network neighborhood and click on the link to set up your own network.
    6. Now if all goes well you should see in your network neigbrhood a group of computers called "What ever user name you put there" (when you wnet through the set up process.)
    7. Now go to computer #2.
    8. Go into your network set up again and I beleave theres a way to connect directly through to the other computer. (by useing the previous user name.)
    9. Now on computer number 2 just right click on what ever you want to share and choose "Shareing"

Now I'm not totaly postive that this will work. But I tryed my best for you.

Good luck

bigk :)

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

8. Panzer4

Panzer4 Thread Starter

9. Squashman

10. tomlunt

tomlunt

From my experience - limited as it is - a ROUTER is much easier to use for sharing the internet.

Tom

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please, for your own sanity, ignore the advice to share using a hub or switch. :D You want a broadband router, and I'd start your shopping here, you can probably find a rebate deal and get one for peanuts.

More Stuff 4 Less

Tech Bargains

Deal News

12. digital1986

digital1986

How is it possible you know how to build a computer, but not to network them together.

13. Squashman

Is it really that hard to build a computer these days. It is not like the old days when you had to set the IRQ and COM on every that went into your computer.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How is it that you even have to ask that question? :rolleyes:

15. Panzer4

Panzer4 Thread Starter

Why, it is rather amazing, isn't it? I mean, that one might know how to do some things but not all things? Not to mention that (now hold on to your hat for this one) one might even learn how to do some of the things that one doesn't yet know how to do by asking?

To everyone else: thanks for the advice and recommendations. I'm sure I'll be back when I start connecting components.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/398796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice