1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I not lose my music?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by spoonthumb, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spoonthumb

spoonthumb Thread Starter

I have a few terabytes worth of music kept on 3 different hard drives. I have spent years upgrading as much as I can to Flac (or similar) files. I have had an external hard drive fail and it took me years to replace what I could. Originally I recovered much of the music but it was without and details so I scrapped them and started again. How can I best make sure that I never lose anything again? SSD drives are very expensive and I have heard that you can lose data if they are not powered up for a few days. I'm not sure cloud and such cover such big files. Any suggestions?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A networked fault tolerant RAID configuration of hard drives with hot swap capability may be one solution. Running it from a UPS could permit a graceful shut down, with no data loss in case of a power failure.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'd make my own external by getting an Enclosure ..
    Then add a Good Western Digital HDD with a 5 year warranty .. 2TB 3TB 4TB
    Since any HDD or Enclosure can fail .. get two of each.

You just never know what quality HDD comes in the off the shelf externals .....
    And the ORICO is one of the better externals with a front panel power switch and a fan.

Any data you don't care about loosing is data you only have one copy of.

4. spoonthumb

spoonthumb Thread Starter

Is it safe to pull out the lead from an external drive whilst its on or should I be taking more care in disconnecting?

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Always do a safe disconnect first then remove the power to the external

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also, if it's really important then a second copy should be kept at a different location to prevent against theft, fire, floods or other disasters.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!