How do I NOT print large black areas (or other large colour areas)?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OM2

I want to print 'something'
Annoyingly, it will have a LARGE black area - or maybe a large area of something else - another colour

I print: I waste ink, lots of it - bad for the world, costly and expensive wasting that ink, if on an inkjet - also rubs off on you!!

Is there a printing program that examines large areas, if they are of a similar colour, substitutes it for a zigzag pattern of the same colour?

See below for a rough sketch of what I mean:

I did a quick search on google, couldn't find anything - but then again, I wasnt sure 'what' to search for!

Thanks

OM

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Not a printing program that I know of .. But an Image Editor where you can change the Picture.
Probably need an advanced editor like Gimp .. I'd use Photoshop
Need any help Here ??

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
I would start by printing everything in Draft mode then.

I have also been a firm believer that if you do a lot of heavy duty printing you should look at switching over to a Laser printer. The initial cost is higher but the cost per page eventually out weighs that initial cost.

OM2

whether inkjet or laser - same thing - ur wasting a LOT of ink!
using an editor defeats the purpose in my humble opinion to be honest

i don't think it would take a rocket scientist to program and have a special filter that spotted big areas of the same or similar colour and replace with a zigzag as shown in my first post

come to think of it - this would be REALLY easy to program

this functionality would be best put inside of a printers program suite of options - and not as a standalone - then u could use it automatically when u printed

maybe i should paten the idea
lol

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This may not be as easy as you think.
Using Photoshop .. I can select a color in the picture (such as Black) and delete it.
But, I have to select how much Black (within the Gray scale) is involved ... Using a cut and try procedure ..
then decide (select) if the Black is to be continuous (joined) .. Or anything that is Black (the selected color).
There are times when I have to manually dis-join an area to prevent deletion of a color that is needed in the picture.

This usually takes several passes where my Wetware is needed.
Can you program Wetware :D :D :D

OM2

This may not be as easy as you think.
Using Photoshop .. I can select a color in the picture (such as Black) and delete it.
But, I have to select how much Black (within the Gray scale) is involved ... Using a cut and try procedure ..
then decide (select) if the Black is to be continuous (joined) .. Or anything that is Black (the selected color).
There are times when I have to manually dis-join an area to prevent deletion of a color that is needed in the picture.

This usually takes several passes where my Wetware is needed.
Can you program Wetware :D :D :D
i disagree :)
it maybe hard to do some graphics where there is a complex interweave of many colours and shades
but, the majority of the time, if it could simply get rid of large black areas - or large red, blue etc areas - then that'll be great

if it worked 90% of the time - it's better than nothing

in terms of a computer program, it would simply just need to do an analysis of how many blocks were next to each other - if they exceeded the allowed threshold, they would be replaced by the zigzag's

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Sound like we will see something soon from you to beta test.

OM2

Sound like we will see something soon from you to beta test.
erm, yes
i'm spending a few thousands speaking to my paten lawyer first just to make sure no one else takes the idea
lol

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Me too .. If Wetware (The eye of the beholder) can be programmed ..
There's probably a place for OM2 in the cosmetic industry right beside the Chemical Warfare scientist.
roflmao2.gif

OM2

thanks for the support guys - u've been fantastic

i'll do a deal - u can buy special priced shares in my company - not available to anyone else
(cash only though)

wetware.com is taken - so the first thing ur money will do is contribute towards paying a million bucks to secure the domain

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hope you had your Serious hat OFF .. and your Humor hat ON.
I'm thinking a lot will depend on the typical picture that you're trying to print.
Care to attach a sample or two ??

OM2

joking aside: i still think it's a great idea

typical picture?
well... it would be ANYTHING :)
typically, say a web page - you want to print out - except it has a long big black banner and a red advert on the right hand side and a blue one on the left hand side
the ink involved printing just one page could be the same as printing 10 - 20 individual pages of normal text

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Not everything that appears Black (or Blue as in the attached example) to your Wetware ...
appears to be Black or Blue to your computer's hardware and software.
Blue Quickly replaced with White ....

Attachments

OM2

Not everything that appears Black (or Blue as in the attached example) to your Wetware ...
appears to be Black or Blue to your computer's hardware and software.
yes: that is accepted - you'd need a lot of coding to decipher and save on that

as i said: i it worked 90% of the time - then it's only but doing good to the world - saving ink - saving the environment

insaver: EXACTLY - that sounds awesome
by the sounds of it, this program probably does more than what i planned
maybe i could sell them my patent?
lol

i'll give it a go actually and will consider buying
thanks for the link

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online