1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I port foward?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Aderon, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aderon

Aderon Account Closed Thread Starter

I just bought Half-Life 2 with counterstrike source and half life 2 deathmatch and after updating everything I started up the game. When I go to find servers it says nothing is showing up. Anyways my problem is that I have a router. I'm trying to port foward but I don't know how. The steam (people who made Half-Life 2) support offered this as a solution.

Which ports must be open in order to use Steam?

Question
    Which ports must be open in order to use Steam?

Answer

The following ports must be open in your firewall and router for Steam and Steam Games to work:
    UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
    UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
    TCP 27020 to 27050 inclusive
    Computers running Dedicated Servers need these ports open:
    UDP: 27015 and 27020 (default HLDS, SRCDS and HLTV port)
    TCP: 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)
    If your server uses a different hostport then you will need to adjust the above accordingly.
    For help on port forwarding for your Router, please consult this excellent website: http://www.portforward.com.
    For assistance with your Firewall you will need to go to the support site for your particular Firewall.
    NOTE: Windows XP SP1 firewall does not require any specific configuration changes for Steam Clients to work, but for Source Dedicated Servers you must open TCP Port 27015 (or whichever port your server is using) for RCON to work!

I'm at www.portfowarding.com and I'm using the steps for my router (DI-524). The link to that router's instructions are here.

http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di...tforwarding.htm

I'm on step 6 and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

NOTE: THIS WAS ORIGINALLY IN THE GAME SECTION BUT SINCE IT INVOLVED PORT FOWARDING I FIGURED YOU GUYS WOULD KNOW WHAT TO DO.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You need to connect to the router, typically through your web browser.

Then you need to forward all the required ports to the local IP address of whichever computer you need.

Some routers call it Port Forwarding. Some routers call it Virtual Server. Check with the documentation or from the manufacturer's web site.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Dlink has a great Knowledge Base. Show you step by step instructions on how to do it.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

According to Step 6 on the site you listed,

You would need to enter:

A description for the port being forwarded
    For the Private IP, you enter in the IP address which is the computer's LAN IP
    For the Private and Public Port enter the ones you have in the first post

Keep doing this for all the ports for all the computers.

5. Aderon

Thankyou! The problem I was having was, since I don't know a lot about networking, that I didn't know what Private and Public ports and all that meant. Thankyou very much sir.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Aderon,

Glad the clarifications helped. And please no "sir". Got enough gray hair as it is ;-)

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Please note that when doing port forwarding you probably will want to hardcode the IP of the PC your using (unless its the only PC on the network or your router (dhcp server) is set to give a specific IP to only that specific machine).

What you don't want is to have IP X.X.X.X and set that up as port forwarded turn off your PC have someone else log on get X.X.X.X and turn on your gaming PC and get X.X.X.Y. You won't be able to get to your gaming servers that way.

Just a thought to consider.

8. Aderon

how do i find my computer's lan ip?

9. Aderon

Also, in this situation, what is the private ip? what is the public port? What is the private port. For instance is the private ip the ip's that were given to me by steam to open or are the private ip's my ip? If you could do something like this it would help:
    Private IP: blah.blah.blah
    Public port: blah.blah.blah
    Private port: blah.blah.blah

10. Aderon

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
    TCP 27020 to 27050 inclusive

What does that mean? Do I have to enter in every one of those ports. 27000, 27001, 27002, etc... What does UDP mean and do I have to type it in? What does inclusive mean and does it effect me? Sorry, I'm good with computers but I know NOTHING when it comes to networking.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As someone else suggested, you should probably manually set your computer's IP address.

12. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Private IP would be your internal lan.

Public port is the port its coming in on private port is the port of your LAN.

If you want to find out your current ip. and your running windows Xp you need to go to start/run/ type in cmd and hit enter in the black box type in ipconfig and it will give you your PC's current IP address.

UDP and TCP are the 2 types of packets usually I set mine to forward both.

Also in the item you showed you can do a blanket 27000 to 27050 and this way your not wasting 1 line in your config. It leaves 27015-20 open but thats not many ports.

13. Aderon

How do I do a blanket?

14. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

15. Aderon

That sounds like it would work. But I don't know the IP I want to forward. I only know the ports.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice