1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I protect my online content from theft???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by daverolle, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daverolle

daverolle Thread Starter

I am looking for a solution that will prevent online resources (HTML and images) from being ripped off.

I want to make sure that my valuable research reports and photos can be viewed for only a limited amount of time (that I determine) while disabling common options like "View Source", "Save As", "Print" etc.

Does anyone know of a solution that can effectively shut down content piracy?

Dave

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yeah, you either dont put them on the web or you put them in a password protected directory and give access to only the people you want to.

3. daverolle

daverolle Thread Starter

Lwd
    OK

so if I oput them behind a passwaord protected directory what is to prevent scoundrels from forwarding the stuff to all the web?

there has got to be some type of solution that protects the contnet when an unauthorized user trys to access it..

any ideas??

Dave

4. leezso

leezso

hi dave--

i would suggest the "right click disabler" thing (which is what I have on my site)-- but the thing is, if you have netscape, ppl can still copy stuff. i also just read on a site about how "not cool" it is to do it.

check this site out! it'll help you greatly!
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/748

and this!!
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/748/2 **** the second page is good!

5. Rockn

Rockn

Those right click disablers don't work anyway. If someone wants the content they can get it by going into the temporary internet files folder on their hard drive and get it all from cache. I would suggest the passworded option like Lwd suggested. You can also use server side scripting to allow documents to only stay posted for a certain amount of time as active links.

It is a public internet and if you are going to offer the "valuable" stuff for free without validation you can't expect it not to be abused or used by someone else.

6. Corrosive

Corrosive

It would probably be best to get some kind of copyright sorted out. That way, you have some legal standing in case someone does steal it.

Personnally, It's more trouble than it's worth. As Rockn says, if someone's really determined they'll rip it off regardless of what measures you have in place.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice