1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I put user settings into new Windows user profile?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tom Seeley, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I am having major trouble with Word! After giving up on Word 2013 and installing Word 2016, the problems have not gone away. [See this thread Word 2013 behaving strangely trying to exit in Business Applications forum for what I've been dealing with.]

A VERY helpful user has suggested that I may have a corrupted user profile. My wife's profile may also be corrupted, since we both have the same problems with Word. I've been advised to create a new local limited user profile, and I'm about to do that. But I think I also need to put the necessary documents and files and folders that I use from my present Users\Tom\Documents folder, etc., into that new profile, don't I? In order to actually run anything like Office 2016 and actually have access to any of my existing *.docx or *.xls documents?

If so, what's the right way to do that? When I browsed the web an hour or so ago on how to create the user acct I skimmed past a document that I think said I should NOT move or copy some of the NTUSER files (not sure that's the exact file name but it's close) into the new profile because those might be what's corrupted. But now I can't go back to where I found that document and read it, and I'm scared that I might "populate" the new user account incorrectly and either not fix my problems or make them even worse. It seems clear to me that if I suspect my existing profile is corrupted, a "bulk copy" or "bulk move" type of exercise to populate the new profile would be the wrongest way I could do this!

Please explain to me carefully and explicitly (I'm totally ignorant on Windows stuff like this) how to do this, so I can log on to the new local limited user account and try to run Word 2016 from there.

I'd give almost anything for that to solve our problems! Without Word 2016 (actually, all of Office 2016) neither my wife nor I can do some very important stuff we both NEED to do on the computer!

We're running a Dell desktop, Windows 10 Home, April 2017 Creator upgrade, v 1703; Malwarebytes 3.0.6, Windows Defender, Firefox (latest version), MS Office 2016 (which isn't working right in many ways).

Here is the SysInfo profile:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8108 Mb
    Graphics Card: Glance Speed Boost
    Hard Drives: C: 921 GB (796 GB Free); D: 931 GB (672 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 088DT1
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why not just begin testing very simply? Copy one of your files into the Public Documents folder, create the new account, and see what happens.

3. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    This is how you copy your user profile to another. Let me know if you have any questions

Copy files to the new user profile

After you create the profile, you can copy the files from the existing profile. You must have at least three user accounts on the computer to complete these steps, including the new account you just created.
    1. Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files
    2. Open File Explorer
    3. Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files check box
    5. Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.
    6. Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
    • Ntuser.dat
    • Ntuser.dat.log
    • Ntuser.ini
    7. Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy.
    8. Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you created.
    9. Click the Edit menu, and then click Paste.
    10. Log off, and then log back on as the new user.If you have e mail messages in an e mail program, you must import your e mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile. If everything is working properly, you can delete the old profile.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  5. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

Thank you!

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    You are welcome. If this is solved please mark as solved

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1199274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice