1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I reconfigure my wireless router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jsthil, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsthil

jsthil Thread Starter

I recently switched my connection from DSL to Cable and Linksys is telling me that I need to reconfigure my router, but they want to charge me for the tech support. Call me cheap, but I'm just trying to save a buck. Can I do this without their assistance? Also, I do not have any of the original software.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If the above link doesn't help you can probably just reset the router to factory default settings. If your modem is a modem-only remember to power cycle it when switching the device connected to it. If it is a modem/router combo there will likely be a problem if it uses the same LAN subnet (192.168.1.x) as the Linksys's default.

4. jsthil

jsthil Thread Starter

This information helped only somewhat. I followed the directions to my routers IP address and it brought my to a website unlike the one shown in the pictures. It was FairPoint rather than Linksys, but seemed to have the same theme as the other one would have. I couldn't follow any further instructions because they didn't apply.

5. jsthil

jsthil Thread Starter

It is separate from the modem. I am worried to reset it with that button and not being able to set it back up, leaving me without a signal at all. Currently, it is still connected to the DSL...until I am sure it will work out with the cable. Should I unplug the connection between the two devices? Ugh, IDK...

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

If I am not mistaken,your switch from DSL to Cable,will also involve a different modem.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If you currently have the WAN section of the Linksys configured for a simple dynamic connection then you can probable just start using it with the cable modem with no changes. If you have it configured for PPPoE then you don't want to change it until you are ready to start using your cable internet access.

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

I certainly agree with Terry.I have used my linksys wrt54g both with cable and dsl using the provided linksys support docs.
    Both setups were pretty straight forward and I had no problems with either environment.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974242