1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I record cassettes to CD?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bj nick, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I want to transfer my old cassettes and records to CD...I don't have a cassette player or a record player....can someone tell me EXACTLY what I should do? (including if you can suggest where to get a record player cheap...)

thanks!

2. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

You need a cassette deck or some kind of cassette player. You can find them in your area at craigslist.org (don't forget to choose your city) and then find a male-to-male mini plug adapter and plug it into the cassette player headphone jack and the red (microphone) or blue (audio in) jack on your computer to record your cassette. There are several audio programs that can record the audio for you, I find Jet Audio to work pretty good: http://www.download.com/3001-2167_4-10696318.html

If you a record player with RCA out you can just get a cable that has male RCA and a male mini plug on the other side

3. masterjim

masterjim

You need a cassette player,sound capture card,audio cable and Audacity software. You convert analog output to MP3 or WAV format in your computer and then you can burn to CD. There are companies that make a machine that converts records to CD, but they are expensive. You can still buy cassette players/walkmans in stores, for record players try Ebay or garage sales.

4. jaymanson

jaymanson

Ion Audio also do a USB turntable. I think this is more aimed at the vinyl collector / DJ market so there's no equivalent USB cassette player I know of, but if you have a lot of vinyl like I do (over 2000) then it's probably the best option as it's not too pricey.

It also comes with software to process and record the audio, and has an inbuilt pre-amp to amplify the signal to line level - Thaddeus's suggestion of simply connecting a record player directly to the PC would not work so well as a turntable only outputs a phono level signal which is very low - it needs to be amplified to at least line level for a good recording.

At the cheapest option, you could pick up an old hifi with a turntable and cassette deck(s) for next to nothing. As long as it has some sort of output (usually stereo RCA if any - avoid using the headphone output) then you're laughing as you can hook it up to any PC with the right cable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice