1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I Recover Email Settings From A Corrupt Install?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by 9000Parts, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 9000Parts

9000Parts Thread Starter

I have been asked by a 'non-technical' friend to re-install Vista x32 his PC after the MB and PSU decided to give up on him. I have fitted a spare HDD as the original one refuses to boot with the replacement MB. First thing I done was try to run the repair but Windows is convinved the drive is failing and refuses to correect it.

Anyway, I installed Vista on the other HDD and done all the drivers, updates, activation, etc and it is running fine. I can also browse the old HDD through the new install and have recovered all of the important things like photos, etc.

However, I cant for the life of me figure out how to retrieve all his emails and account settings. I knew how to do it in XP (with a little help from Google) but I cant find anything that covers this for Vista.

Anybody here know how to retrieve all the emails and settings from the old HDD and import them to the new install?

Paul

2. tech-win

tech-win

3. 9000Parts

9000Parts Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to hte owner this morning and it transpores that he was using Windows Outlook rather than 'Mail' which could explain why I couldnt find what I was looking for.
    He is installing Windows Outlook on the new HDD so I assume the procedure is the same as for mail?

4. tech-win

tech-win

The procedure differs for MS Outlook. Which version of Outlook do they have?

5. 9000Parts

9000Parts Thread Starter

Apparently he used Office 2k3 to install Outlook (and the other bits too) and he will be using the same disk again to re-install all the office apps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice