1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I recover my corrupted JPEG?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Holly3278, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. A few weeks ago, I had to format my computer due to a possible virus. Basically whatever infected my computer slowed me down so badly that I couldn't back up anything at all but a few pics. At first I thought that all three pics were unrecoverable because I kept getting an error when trying to move them from the floppy to my hard drive. However, last night I tried to move them individually and it worked. There was one file that couldn't be "moved". However, if I copied and pasted it, it would work. Only one problem, this one file was also corrupted. I messed around for a while and ran Disk Checker and let it fix any errors on the floppy before trying to copy and paste it back to the hard drive again but it did not work. It did change the picture to where instead of only being able to see the top 1/2 inch of the picture, I was able to see the whole thing. Unfortunately, it was still corrupted and kind of messed up looking. It was blue shaded and it looked like part of the picture had been copied and pasted to the side of it.

Now here's the thing that makes me feel like this image might be recoverable. The thumbnail is perfectly fine. It's the image itself that doesn't appear to be working. Is there any possible way to recover this image considering that the thumbnail is still fine? Now, I don't know much about picture recovery but I would think that since the thumbnail is ok then the pic itself is ok as well but the data has somehow been skewed or something.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated because this is one of only three pics that I have my best friend and I have no hard copy of the pic. Please help! :(

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Thumbnails are often a separate sub-image (which contain very little data and cannot in themselves render the original image). Hence it may look OK.

What you have is missing and incorrect data, and that causes the corrupt image to display as it does. Unfortunately the exact data that is needed to patch it is no longer known or available.

It would be possible to recreate it given enough time and money. That's what professional data recovery experts do.

However in this case, the chances are very slim unless a lot of $ are invested I believe?

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Oh no. :( This was like the best picture I had of him too. I just don't understand how the picture could have gotten corrupted to begin with. I used a brand new floppy and the floppy was never exposed to excessive heat or cold and it was never near any source of radiation or magnetic fields (like Microwaves) either. I tried to put the pictures on a CD-RW before formatting but for some reason, my CD-RW drive didn't want to burn it. All well, thanks for letting me know. I guess I am definitely going to back up what pics I have on a CD-RW right now so that if such an event happens again, I won't have to worry about backing them up on floppies. Thanks kiwiguy.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Floppy disks are THE most unreliable media these days.

Its not unusual to get 2 out of a box of 10 to show problems immediately.

As almost nobody uses them now, the production is low, so is the quality.

5. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Yeah I know. That's why I was reluctant to back up my pictures to a floppy before formatting. However, I had no choice. My CD-RW drive refused to burn a CD and I have no other media storage options. :( All well, at least I the other 2 weren't corrupted.

6. Arky

Arky

JPGs are a common vehicle for infections. No matter how precious the image, be careful what you keep after an infection.

7. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

The pictures have been scanned for viruses using my fully updated Norton Internet Security (which includes Norton Antivirus) and no threats were detected. Believe me, if I though I had an infection (which I think I did) I wouldn't keep any files without scanning them for viruses first.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Actually jpg files are rarely a target for infections.

Its a possibility, but a very rare one. A virus may add another extention to the file name to try and fool the user, but thats not a real jpg in that case. More on that here:
    http://www.f-secure.com/news/items/news_2004100500.shtml

However, to make that statement Arky, you obviously have some basis, would you care to share it with us?

9. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Well, I'm 99.9% certain that it's a real JPEG image file. I mean, I know that I saved three JPEG image files to the floppy before formatting. One thing that kind of worried me was the talk about some kind of JPEG file exploit that Microsoft recently released a critical update for. I didn't have the update before the format (that I can remember of) but I do have it now. My computer is fully updated. I make sure that it always is because I know how important that is to the security of my computer. :cool:

But anyway, if any of you find any possible way to recover my file, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm willing to try anything besides paying a data recovery expert.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!