1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I reduce size of images for a web site?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bj nick, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I am trying to reduce the size of a web page I created because it says it will take five minutes to open on a 56K modem. How can I reduce the size of all my jpeg's as far as possible while still maintaining decent quality. Would it be better if they were all thumbnails?

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

depends what the pics are

try experimenting with the thumbnail settings
    - 250 wide
    - 200 wide
    etc

can you split the pages up more - less info/graphics per page
    - make 3 or 4 pages instead of one big one?

i try to keep the page load under a minute - more like 30 - 40 seconds - at 56k

can you upload a sample website/page for a look? and post the url?

btw - just noticed a few other posts and replies - will get to them in the next little while - still early in mountain time
    also - maybe keep them all in one forum - development usually - so they don't get missed and you get consistent responses

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

thanks...to tell the truth I was unsure where to put these particular issues...they sort of cut across different areas...

I will try putting them on different pages; good idea! Why didn't I think of that....

I will send you the link to the site soon. THanks for the help.

4. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

What graphics program do you use to edit photos? Most have options for setting the compression on a JPG.

If you have the original photo in a TIF or other uncompressed format, it's best to start with that (for any of the tips I list), and then create the JPG from it, trying different compression settings until you find the right balance of size and quality. If you start with the JPG, you will have already lost some detail, and the results will get progressively worse with each save. At the VERY least, start with the original version of the JPG each time. Never save it as JPG, make changes, save as JPG again, etc. The file will start looking very bad very fast. Some programs have very nice preview screens where you can try out different settings without saving the image each time

Other tricks (used alone or in combination) to reduce size :

1. Crop the image and resave
    2. Resample/Resize the image to smaller dimensions (resampling is the better choice, if you have that option)
    3. Use one of the newer programs that allow you to compress certain areas of the image more than others, so that you can retain quality in the important areas, but allow detail loss in the background (called selective compression).
    4. Use thumbnails on a "gallery" page that point to the larger image, so your visitors can decide whether to get that big file.
    5. Reduce the color depth to lower 24-bit (required for JPGs)setting

I have used a number of lower-end graphics programs, and I find I like Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop Lite (now available as Photoshop LE) the best, though there are other good choices.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice