1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How do I remove a password requirement from a system boot ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Brian2535, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brian2535

Brian2535 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8077 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 149 GB (77 GB Free); D: 780 GB (775 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

A few days ago an on screen message said words to the effect that Windows had encountered a problem and needed to close. The system cycled through a diagnostic sequence - an attempt at repair - eventually closed down. When rebooted followed much the same sequence.

I tried using a Windows Repair Disc, which opened up several repar options, but all eventually led back to the on-screen message - Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close down.

The system was restored using an external hard drive with a copy of system image. However, when the system is booted - within seconds a box appears on screen asking for a password to be entered. When the password is entered the boot continues without a hitch and Windows 10 works as normal.

The introduction of a password could well be something that I stumbled into whilst trying to solve the initial problem - I cannot honestly recall - but I would appreciate guidance as to how to eliminate this step from the boot process.

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    This sounds like a bios password which can be disabled in the bios if you have the password.

3. Brian2535

Brian2535 Thread Starter

Hi dckeks

Thank you for your response to my query.

I do have the password, but my knowledge of the BIOS system is limited to the fact that that one can cause considerable damage in it if you do not know what you are doing - and I do not know my way round the BIOS system.

Detailed instructions as to how to get in, and out, without doing damage would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Brian

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  5. Brian2535

Brian2535 Thread Starter

Hi dckeks

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8077 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 149 GB (78 GB Free); D: 780 GB (775 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    To access the Bios:
    Press "Del" when the ASUS logo appears on the screen to enter the BIOS.
    Then look in the bios under Security tab for bios password or similar and you should be able to disable it.
    Save changes and you should be set

7. Brian2535

Brian2535 Thread Starter

Hi dckeks

Thank you for your suggestion. I entered the BIOS - couldn't find anything connected to security or password, and there was nothing familiar about the layout - quite sure it isn't part of the ground I covered when recovering the boot programme. As far as I can remember the options included to start afresh with a clean installation of Windows, or, try to save all personal files and then install Windows, or restore windows from a System Image on an external hard drive. This is the option that I took, and it was whilst exploring what options were available that I must have inadvertently become entangled in the password sequence.

I am obliged to you for your help, but this appears to be a problem peculiar to Asus machines. I have emailed Asus Support to ask for there help. Once I have their solution I will post the answer on this Forum - it may help somebody else with the same problem.

Best wishes

Brian

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you post a picture of the password screen? That'll greatly hep us with identifying the source of it, it may be a BitLocker password, hard drive password, startup password, or something else.

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    That would be very helpful as well as you model of ASUS.

10. Brian2535

Brian2535 Thread Starter

Hi dckeks and Triple 6

Sorry for the delay in answering your queries - been away from home for several hours.

The computer model is ASUS K20CD.

I am unable to provide a screenshot of the password screen - the sequence is as follows:

I press a button on the computer to start the boot sequence

10 to 15 seconds later a blue box appears on a black screen, with instructions, Enter Password

when the password is entered the screen immediately changes to the normal ASUS boot opening screen

after a further 10 to 15 seconds the Windows 10 opening sequence begins - Microsoft password is entered and the boot sequence completes.

I have received an acknowledgement of my query from Asus Support, with the promise of a full response within 48 hours.

Best wishes

Brian

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Does this video show what you are seeing. It looks there should be an option for some type of password to be disabled in the bios.

12. Brian2535

Brian2535 Thread Starter

Hi dckeks

Not quite - the screen is black, and other than the password box in the centre of the screen which carries the instruction - Enter Password - the screen is completely blank - no words or logo's whatsoever.

13. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay, and You have looked through all your bios menus and settings and don't see anything about a admin password, security password or anything?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, not a screenshot, a picture, you can use a camera or a cell phone.

It does sound like a BIOS or hard drive startup password. What options do you see when you enter the BIOS setup? Usually their is a Security section or an Advanced section.

15. Brian2535

Brian2535 Thread Starter

Hi dckeks & Triple6

Please excuse delay in answering your queries - a family emergency has come up - will be off-line for a while.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice