1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I remove a system-folder icon from the desktop?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dan Strassberg, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan Strassberg

Dan Strassberg Thread Starter

I am using Windows 98 SE

As a backup to my primary ISP, I had subscribed to a second ISP (WorldShare), which ceased operation earlier this month--at least in this geographic area. When I signed up six or so months ago, the Worldshare installation added a desktop icon, which appears to be a "system folder." There is no entry for WorldShare in the add/remove programs list. A search of my hard drive does not find any program files whose names contain the string WorldShare. If I right-click on the WorldShare icon, the context menu shows "delete" as an option, but clicking on "delete" accomplishes nothing. I deleted the WorldShare item from Dialup Networking and also from Outlook Express 5.0's Services list. Neither of these actions affected the desktop icon. How do I get this now-useless icon off my desktop (hopefully, without having to edit the registry)?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Try right clicking on the icon & go to the button that says "Find Target"

This will take you to the folder where you should have an uninstaller... you may still have to delete some leftover junk... but should go away after that.

Hope this does it for you

Savvy :)

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There may be a registry entry you will need to delete to remove the icon.

From start, run regedit

Navigate to:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\Namespace

Highlight Namespace and expand the + tree under it. You should see entries such as shown in my attached file. Is the one you are looking for there? Are there any that are unnamed?

You can delete the icons there, but if you are unsure, save the Namespace key first. To do this, click Registry>Export, and save Namespace to the desktop or someplace else. If you need to restore the key, you can double click on it to merge it back.

If you see your icon shown there, you can right click on it (left pane) and delete it. When you reboot it should be gone.

Attached Files:

4. Dan Strassberg

To Savvy Lady: Sorry; you're not so savvy about this one. There is no "find target" selection in the context menu (where the selections are Connect, Delete (which doesn't work), Properties, and Create Shortcut) or in any of the three tabs in the Properties dialog (General, Options, and About). If there had been a way to find the target, I think I would have found it and would not have had to post my message.

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:cool: Right click on the icon and select properties. The target is listed there. You can click on the "Find Target" tab to take you to the folder.

6. Dan Strassberg

See my previous post. The target is MOST EMPHATICALLY _NOT_ listed in ANY of the tabs of the Properties dialog.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Dan Strassberg,
    Chill out. People are trying to help. They are mistaking this System folder for a shortcut. ROG was right about how to remove it. Did it Work?

If it were a shortcut, you could actually right click and choose properties. Near the bottom of the page you would now find a button marked. "Find Target" That would take you to the folder containing the file to which the Shortcut Points. However, that's not the case here.

Mo

8. Dan Strassberg

Thanks. I downloaded Rog's message including the JPG and will try it--with more than a little trepidation. I have never used Regedit (although I have opened it to take a look) because of my fear of creating problems far worse than the one I am trying to solve. I have been hoping that someone would suggest a utility that could accomplish the same thing without the need for manual editing of the registry. My understanding of Regedit is that it is very easy to accidentally make changes that produce serious unwanted consequences.

9. indigowindow

indigowindow

go to START-PROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES-SYSTEM TOOLS-SYSTEM INFORMATION. on the TOOLS drop down menu use REGISTRY CHECKER to back up your registry. then, when you finally get those unwanted consequences, restart the computer in DOS mode. at the c:\ prompt type SCANREG /RESTORE. usually you'll choose the most recent backup. :p

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice