1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I remove all hard drive partitions on Dell Dimension 4600 computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LostinMaine, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LostinMaine

LostinMaine Thread Starter

I am trying to do a clean installation of Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension 4600 computer which currently has a partitioned hard drive. When I install XP Home Edition I want to remove all partitions on the hard drive before doing the clean installation of Windows XP Home Edition. Exactly how do I accomplish (1) removal of all existing data on the hard drive, (2) removal of all partitions on the hard drive before I reinstall the XP Home Edition operating system, (3) reinstall XP Home Edition? Can anyone help?

2. raybro

raybro

I assume you have XP Home System Disk (CD) and a Product Key number for your computer. If the CD you have is the original Dell OEM disk, then the Product Key should be shown on a sticker somewhere on the outside of the tower, probably on the back.

If the XP home CD is not the original OEM CD, then it will have a different Product Key number on the CD jacket.

Are you aware most Dells a have a hidden diagnostics partition? Do you also want to delete that one?

What I suggest you do is download a free program called Easeus Partition Master. Install the program, open it and take a screen shot of the active window. Paste it into MS Paint and save it as a .jpeg file. Then copy a paste it into a reply to this thread. If you do not know how to capture a screen shot post back and I will provide instructions. Easeus will tell us your HDD configuration so better guidance can be provided. Easeus will also have some use in partition work you wish to do.

I've attached a screen shot of what it looks like.

Attached Files:

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Before you start the reinstallation make sure there is nothing you want to save such as documents, pix, music, etc before you do so. a reinstall will wipe out everything. my first dell computer oddly enough was a dell dimension 4600. i hope you have all the xp drivers handy for that model.when you put the cd in you reboot and hit F12 for the boot order. you choose the cd drive and then it will say hit any key to boot from the cd.just follow the instructions but at some point it will ask you do you want to delete the partition.its very easy to do.when you do a reinstall if you dont want partitions they will be removed.if you get stumped maybe you can find someone more knowledgeable to help you the first time. after that it gets easier.if im not mistaken it came with windows xp home sp1a. when you get it reinstalled with the drivers etc you will need to update it to sp3.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is a good pictorial and instructional guide that you should read and get familiar with before you start.

Make sure that you back up any personal data that you don't want to lose to CD-R's/DVD-R's or an external hard drive or both before you start.

Make sure that you obtain the Windows XP drivers for that computer's devices and copy them to a CD-R or USB thumb drive before you start.

Raybro and SUEOHIO and Old Rich have all given you good advice and information, so you should be good to go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice