1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I Remove An Old Install Of Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by jo3kr, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jo3kr

jo3kr Thread Starter

Ok so my friend convinced me that Ubuntu was the greatest thing in the world and pretty much forced me to put it on my PC (Knowing that it's used mainly for school and I need Microsoft Office) and I already corrupted my PC 5 times trying to get it off. It was something about the dual boot and I deleted it and it was the main boot up so I had no access to Windows 7.

Well now I'm all set on Windows 7 and everything but my HDD is 142GB which I have a 250GB HDD. I remember he allocated 100GB to Ubuntu and now it's disappeared. And now my computer down to like 50GB and runs horribly slow and I would like to have that 100GB back.

So how do I get rid of the old install? I have a flash drive and all that stuff. Only thing I could think of is installing Windows 7 again, but I did that when I got Ubuntu fully off and if I remember correctly I formatted my HDD but not sure if I did it to the partitions.

I'm running an Acer D257 (Mini laptop)

Thanks guys!

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    You say the 100gb has disappeared? I'm sure its still there.

Go to the startup icon in the bottom left hand corner. Right click computer and select manage. Click on disk management on the left hand side. Take a screenshot of this page and post it here. I'm sure it shows two partitions there at least, one for your windows and the other for your windows.

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    As puduebbaker says - it's still there, but as Windows and Linux (Ubuntu in this case) use different file types, the Windows disk management tool won't 'see' the Linux (Ubuntu) ext4 partition. Windows uses NTFS which can be seen by Linux.
    If you can boot in to Ubuntu by using a live CD/DVD or USB and then use Gparted to post a screenshot we should then be able to see all partitions.

Removing Ubuntu isn't just about deleting its partition though, you need to fix Windows 'MBR' (master boot record).
    A good guide here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-safely-uninstall-ubuntu-in-windows-dual-boot-environment/

Hope this helps?

Richard.

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Are you sure about that? I currently have a Linux partition and Windows. I am in Windows and can see there is a partition with no drive letter, which is my Linux partition.

5. 1002richards

:eek: Sorry, I stand corrected about Windows disk manager not 'seeing' the ext4.

6. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    And then once you delete the linux partition from within windows, download easybcd. This is a great program that will allow you to remove the listing of linux in the boot menu. This is because after you delete the partition of linux, the listing for it in the boot menu is still there. If you click on it, it will give you an error because the files don't exist anymore, but you definitely don't want to keep seeing the linux name upon booting.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml

That should be the website. I'll download it and check it out to make sure it is.

UPDATE: I don't know if my computer is being dumb or what, but I am unable to download EasyBCD. It also looks like that you have to pay for it now. I got it a while back and have an older version, which still works great for me. Someone correct me if I am wrong. So I would not use that link above. I'll look for another way of editing the boot loader unless 1002richards knows how.

7. 1002richards

Hi jo3kr,
    Just to clarify, puduebmaker and I are offering different methods of accomplishing the same thing - as with most computer issues there are several ways of solving the problem.
    However, don't mix & match from the two solutions suggested - they might not be fully compatible, so have a look, read around and go with what you're comfortable with. Post back here in this thread with any questions.

8. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Oh sorry 1002richards. I must have missed that. I'll go back and look at your method as I am probably unfamiliar with with.

UPDATE FROM LAST POST.

The link does work. For some reason, I would select the download for US and it wouldn't load and then would redirect. I just had to go back to the previous page and select the "click here" to start it manually. I know this seems bad, but I had firefox to warn me when it redirected a page. So I would allow it when it popped up, but this would send me to a different page and stop the download. If you don't have firefox or whatever browser your using to warn you when it redirects you, then you will not encounter this problem.

9. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    The article you provided states the you will not be able to boot into Windows once you delete the linux partition. I have never encountered that, and I have deleted and reinstalled linux many times. What should happen (or from what I have experienced) is that your boot menu will look how it does right now. The only difference is that if you were to try to boot into the linux partition, it would not let you because it does not exist. You would still be able to boot into Windows fine.

The only time the I have seen an entry missing from the boot menu and needed to add it was when I installed Windows on a hard drive that had linux. The windows partition would cause the entry for the linux partition to disappear and I would use easybcd to add the linux entry.

BOTTOM LINE: jo3kr, do whichever method you want. Just let us know which method you used and how everything turned out.

10. 1002richards

It could be that (as now) we've used different methods. I've never used EasyBCD, I have though,relied on Grub and have used the fixMBR method.

Anyway as you say .... "BOTTOM LINE: jo3kr, do whichever method you want. Just let us know which method you used and how everything turned out."

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My interpretation--which may be 100% wrong--is that there was a new install of Windows 7 and, hence, as far as booting is concerned the only system is Windows 7 and no farther fixing is needed. If I happen to be correct then just proceed with the advice to delete the extra partition(s) (there may also be a swap partition) and then resize/extend your "C" partition to include the newly unallocated space.

12. supramagnets

supramagnets

just find the disk manage software can make everything easy.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice