1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do i remove java

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bloom, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bloom

bloom Thread Starter

I found the above on my computer as far as i know i have never used it and probably never will. I suspect it was installed when I downloaded open office.

Anyway in add and remove i have java 6 update 4 and java 6 update 7nearly 250 megs:mad:, this appears to be a simple removal by clicking remove :D However in my computer I have a java icon control panel with no apparent means of removal how do i remove it.

thank you

jean bloom

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Just install from Add/Remove Programs . . the Java icon should go away

3. bloom

bloom Thread Starter

thanks for your reply i assume you meant un-install, no matter i un-installed from add remove and all dissapeared.

thank you for your assistance

jean bloom

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yes . . I ment uninstall . . sorry

You can mark this thread as solved by clicking on the Thread Tools link in your first post . .

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Jean:

Just for your information, having Sun Java Runtime Environment and Adobe Flash Player installed in your computer is a good idea. With all the multimedia and graphics in many websites, many of them require your computer to have these programs so the websites can be viewed properly and completely. These programs aren't mandatory to have, but they do come in handy when needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

After you've uninstalled all version of Java from Add/Remove Programs, go to the C:\Program Files\Java folder. If any leftover folders are still there, delete them.

If you have all versions of Java uninstalled and the leftover folders deleted, the Java icon in the Control Panel should disappear. If it doesn't, do a search for javacpl.cpl and then delete all files with that name.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I agree. You will miss a lot of web content, and many programs won't work, without those things installed.

7. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Just remove the oldest version. That will eliminate some one-half of the "load" on your HDD.

You have to do this each time you update to a newer version. I believe it is now #10.

{redoak}

8. kevinpeterson

kevinpeterson

You can remove it from Add remove program. First you go to star menu then go to control panel a new window will open then go to add/remove program and select the program you want to remove and click on remove. It will be permanently removed.

Kevin

Crystal Meth

9. hewee

hewee

A Secunia scan said I had older versions of java but then I got JavaRa from http://raproducts.org/ that removed the two older versions and it worked great.
    The new Dell did not have the two older versions in the add/remove so I could not go there so this worked out great.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice