1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I Remove Programs If They Aren't Listed In Add/Remove Programs?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bizwiz2, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bizwiz2

bizwiz2 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a number of programs that I want to get off my computer. None of them have an uninstall option. Some say to go to add/remove programs to remove them. However, none of them are listed in add/remove programs. How do I get them off my computer? Thanks. :confused:

2. slipe

slipe

Usually if the program isn’t in Add/remove it didn’t come with an uninstall applet. You can delete the folder but make sure you keep it in your recycle bin for a while to make sure you didn’t take something essential with it. Then do a search both on the computer and in the registry for things made by the program.

I would advise just leaving them on the computer. Make sure they are inactive and ignore them – they are inert as long as they are removed from your startup.

3. bizwiz2

bizwiz2 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

How do I search for things made by the program? How do I know when I've found something the program made?

How do I make sure the programs are inactive?

Thanks.

4. TN_1

TN_1

It's impossible to answer without knowing which program you are talking about that because there are countless number of programs which create all sorts of files on your computer.

By saying "inactive", slipe simply means that do not use those programs.

5. TOGG

TOGG

There is a free program called Add/Remove Pro which includes an option that lists all entries, not just what's in the Windows Add/Remove list. You can get details here;http://www.superwin.com/freeware.htm

If you do try this program you will need to be very, very careful before using this option as any errors could do serious damage. Unless you have no space left on your hard drive, why not do as slipe suggests and leave the program(s) alone?.

If it were me, I would ensure that those programs were not loading at startup and then ignore them. I've got lots of rubbish like that which I don't use and which isn't causing me any problems.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/235372