1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I remove rogue router from my network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ladex142, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladex142

ladex142 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I've been noticing a Belkin router on my network for a while now and just yesterday another Linksys router as join the party, causing havoc on my connection speed!

I have tried all I could think of, I searched the internet for solution but found none.....Please help me out! How do I get rid of them for good? I've uploaded the two rogue router.

The strange thing is that I'm the only one seeing them through Norton on my laptop, all other computer on my home network is not detecting them. could this mean that someone is monitoring me? is possible? If I move permanently to Ubuntu linux would the problem go away? OR will they still be able to connect and monitor me? Too many questions, lol.....Please anyone, HELP!

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      67.4 KB
      Views:
  2. PedroHin

PedroHin

This is ,, um ,, wow! If I saw something like this I would immediately unplug my router from the rest of the world. Where is this? ...residence (single family, or apartment/condo)? office?

Sorry if I sound alarmist here. It could be someone just luckily guessed your WiFi pasword, and are leeching bandwidth.

Change the WiFi password immediately. Disable Wifi if you don't use it. If you must have it, use MAC filtering.

I would also disable DHCP on the router and change to an uncommon IP subnet/netmask on the router config. like maybe 172.16.0.1 as the router's LAN IP with a subnet mask of only 255.255.255.254 . This will allow only 2 IPs on your LAN -- the router, and your PC. Then hardcode the PC's IP to 172.16.0.2 / netmask 255.255.255.254 / Gateway 172.16.0.1

(Of course this suggestion might break your stuff if other PCs need to get on the network, then your next only option is to allow 6 IPs on your LAN . That will work by changing the subnet mask to 255.255.255.248 and then you have usable IPs from 172.16.0.1-172.16.0.6

If you hardcode the IP on your PC, then you'll need to manually configure DNS too on each PC. I would use 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS)

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Read The ABCs of securing your wireless network for even more myths about wireless security. :) Wireless security is WPA(2) encryption with a strong passphrase.

I suggest you read Norton's documentation to see what those mean.

4. K7M

K7M

To me it just looks like a list of all the wireless networks available in your neighborhood. Just because they are listed doesn't mean they have access. I don't use norton but if I open up my wireless networks it shows 7 available networks. I can only log on to 2 mine and my neighbor's as I will bring my laptop to his house to do work. It shows as available from my house but the signal is not strong enough for a usable connection. Read the links Terrynet posted, there is a lot of good info there.

5. ladex142

ladex142 Thread Starter

Sorry guys for the late reply

I'll do as you've suggested

6. ladex142

ladex142 Thread Starter

I'm reading it right now

7. ladex142

ladex142 Thread Starter

I hope it's as you've said, because I've got lots of sensitive information on my system.......Just to be save I've use Truecrypt to encrypt my entire system as well.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!