1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I Remove Win NT and replace with Win 95.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wango, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wango

wango Thread Starter

Will some tell exactly what I need to remove Windows NTR from a machine and replace it with Windows 95 or 98.

I tried the method in "How to Manually Remove Windows NT or Windows 2000 (Q103049)". By following the procedure in this article, I landed into more trouble.

The system admin I asked is giving me a run around as in try this try that....

So what do I need and what do I do with it.

So far what I know is that I need a beet disk. What do I need on that boot disk (the name of the files an where do I get those files) ????

When I boot my machine using that boot disk, what do I type aat the prompt, in order to wipe out Windows NT4.0 from my machine.

I have just lent what I thought was good boot disk to a friend of mine. When she tried to use it, she got the following error:

"Couldn't Find NTLDR"

6.0 Error Messages

6.1 Couldn't Find NTLDR
    This message is displayed if the file NTLDR is missing from the root of the C: drive. You can copy the file to C:\ from either the CD ROM or floppy disks.

To copy NTLDR from the CD ROM, make the CD ROM your current drive and enter the command:

copy \i386\ntldr C:\

To copy NTLDR from floppy disk, insert Disk 2 in your disk drive and make that drive the current drive. Then enter the command:

expand ntldr.$ c:\ntldr

Whay dpes all that mean???

Wango

2. Rockn

Rockn

Don't use the NT setup disks to boot the PC. Go to a Win98 PC and create a boot disk and also put format.com and fdisk.exe on it. Boot to that disk, change to the A: prompt and type fdisk and enter. Select delete partition....option 4 I believe, then select delete Non-DOS partition if it is an NTFS partition...confirm the deletion and esc to the A: prompt again. Reboot to the disk and change o the A: prompt and type in FDISK....select option one to create a partition....confirm the creation and reboot. Now you should be able to boot to the disk and either run format C: /s from the boot disk or use a Win98 setup disk to begin the installation. I don't have the link for a good boot disk with CD-ROM support, but there is plenty of info out there to tell you how....google will give you all the links you could want

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!