1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i renew the interface Local Area Connection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Timo10, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timo10

Timo10 Thread Starter

How do i renew the interface Local Area Connection? When i use 'Windows IP configuration utility, i do receive the following message:"Unable to contact your DHCP.Server request has timed out' It looks like i have an invalid IP address and con't connect my second computer (notebook/lap top) with the main one through an Power Line connection (ethernet cable).

I have cheked the powerlines + cables and connections and they look fine but there might still be a problem linked with the deletion of the 'Network Connection Drive (Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit/ Fast Ethernet Connection Drivers) (by my error earlier yesterday) which i have reinstolled on my Eee PC 901 again today. I had done also a drive scaner earlier in it was OK (Pased) but i still can't get any connection through powerline (Devolo dLAN 200 AVeasy)
    This message also apears when trying to "repair" Local Area Connection for having no connectivity to the Internet..."Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address." Both my PC and Eee PC 901 Notebook are fine. I do have good internet connection on my main PC throught a Netgear Ruter. but can't link my Notebook from the other room through the power line like i did before yesterday.
    Can anyone please provide any clues or help me with this? I really would appretiate any kind of support or assistance you can provide?
    Thank you in advance.
    Tim

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sounds like you are using Power-line Networking. If that is true determine if the problem is the power line connection or the computer--connect the computer directly to the router or connect a known working computer with the power line connection.

If not power line networking, please describe your network.

3. Timo10

Timo10 Thread Starter

Hi Terry,
    Very kind for you to respond.
    I am using a Power-line Networking connection of 'Devolo' brand product (the precise type is: "dLAN 200 AVeasy starter kit")
    I have checked & there is No Problem with the 2nd Computer "Eee PC 901 Notebook". Following your good advice I did connect the computer "Eee PC 901 Notebook" directly on the Netgear router (port 4) and it look like it is all fine now. But I am keen to use my "Eee PC 901 Notebook" (2nd computer) from my other room or from a different part of the house and Now it seems that the problem rest with the power line connection which was linking my "Eee PC 901 Notebook" (2nd computer) with a main power socket on the kitchen wall.

Can you give any good advice like the one before about the power line connection trouble shooting tips or the possible culprits on / with it? I will see if I can have the same problem from a different room, thought. Just got some work to do from home over the next days (although it is season's celebrations on the way...) and my kids, who are on school holiday use my main PC all the time :) you know.

If I do not hear from soon you Have a lovely New Year Eve and a very prosperous 2011.

Thanks for your assistance on this Terry and i look forward to your next advice.

Timo

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From what I've "seen" (in threads here) and what makes sense any change to the electrical system can change the results for networking. So, if you plugged in something new (like that new home theater :) ) or changed what outlet something was using try a "reset" to the way it was before the problem began.

If that doesn't uncover a culprit I guess I would try the power line adapters close together--two outlets in the same room that you know are on the same circuit. If they still fail there best guess is that an adapter is defective.

5. Timo10

Timo10 Thread Starter

Thank you terry!
    I will try to do as advised. One more thing: When you say "If they still fail there best guess is that an adapter is defective" What do you mean with the 'adapter'? Do you mean the router or one of the power-line plugins/adopters?
    Many thanks!
    Happy New Year to you!
    Timo

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The device that connects to the computer is an adapter, not an adopter. That's what TerryNet is referring to.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now, now, DH, I make plenty of typos myself, and adopter could easily be one. :)

I mean the power-line plugins; perhaps adapters was not the precise term to use for them, but they do "adapt" between the electrical wires and an ethernet cable.

8. DocBC

DocBC

I have same kind of problem (I think) - can someone help? Am using Devolo DLAN200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit. Set up adapters as instructed and after many hours adjusting my router, have finally got internet connection using the kit. But it is really slow, both wirelessly and through ethernet port of adapter. If I connect to the ethernet port of adapter, I can get to a speed test site and run it, and it shows less than 0.5Mbs download speed. Hooking up to the ethernet port of the router, I can get over 6Mbs. Tried various plugpoints around the house, but makes no difference. Any ideas out there?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm glad to see that you started your own thread, DocBC. Those interested in helping you should do so there, so as to not confuse this one. Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice