1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I replace XP with ME?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cboggs2, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cboggs2

cboggs2 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new computer and it came with Windows XP. The problem is that I cannot find the drivers for my scanner and my printer only has limited function with the generic driver I have to use. All of my other computers are running Windows ME with no problems.

I would like to switch to ME on my new computer, How do I do this? (I have the CD)

2. robodoc

robodoc

Asuming that your ME disc is a full version and not an upgrade and that you have a ME emergency boot disc, you might I stress might be lucky enough to do an uninstal of XP and then reboot your system with the boot disc, select start with cd rom support and then load ME. Have you considered returning to the place you bought your machine and asking them to do it? I have concerns that if you have software for XP such as Office XP, that they may not be compatible with ME. Don't really know. I did see a laptop running 98 with a trial version of Office XP, so it may be ok. There are a lot of brain surgeons on this forum and you may want to wait for more responses. Hope this helps.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) purchase a new legal copy of ME as it is illegal to use the cd from one of your other machines.

2)couple of options after that.

a) format your drive, boot from ME cd and install mME, install the rest of your software.

b) delete your windows directory and boot from ME cd. install ME and install the rest of your software.

3) I would STRONGLY recommend against changing back to ME becase the cost of a new FULL VERSION of ME is about the same as a new inexpensive scanner and xp is a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better/more stable OS than ME.

EDIT:

there is no way to avoid re-installing all your software again. If you only have a restore disk with your new computer (or if your new computer is a compaq/hp) it is going to be a huge hassle. also, if you ever have to actually USE your restore cd, its going to take you back to xp...then you are stuck with deleting xp and reinstalling windows AGAIN

4. cboggs2

cboggs2 Thread Starter

I have an H/P but I lost the software that came with it and I can't restore any files. That was the only copy of XP that I had.

I do have a legal copy of ME (full version) and a boot disc that I recently bought for half price at Best Buy.

I have 3 other computers using ME right now and I don't have any problems with any of them.

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

If you are insistent, then the best way is a clean install.

backup anything you want to keep.

1) boot from a floppy to a command prompt.

2) At the a:\> prompt type "format c:"

3) go smoke, eat lunch, nap for about 20 min.

4) come back and go into your bios and set your first boot device to be your cd-Rom

5) boot from the windows ME cd.

6) follow the prompts to install ME

7) install all your drivers (modem, video, etc)

8) install any other software you want.

enjoy.

again, I would suggest NOT doing this. Windows 98, fine...but I just don't feel comfortable recommending ME to anyone.

I would even suggest you try posting the make/model of your scanner/printer and seeing if we can find you a driver before you go to ME.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice