1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I restore keyboard settings in Excel? Book on keyboard = unknown changes.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kurtosis, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kurtosis

kurtosis Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I accidentally messed up my keyboard settings in Excel 2010--I didn't notice the book sitting on the keyboard while working on something else on my desk--and can't figure out how to restore all of them to defaults in a blanket action. I fixed them one-by-one, but I can't figure out how to fix one last problem: I keep having the keytips pop up when the '/' key (no ALT or CTRL) is pressed. It doesn't matter if the slash is in the QWERTY or the 10-key. The keytips still pop up.

Can someone help me figure out how to return the normal function?

Thanks,
    Kurt

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

3. kurtosis

kurtosis Thread Starter

Hi EAFiedler,

The problem doesn't occur in other programs, only Excel. I looked in the Macros tab, and found no macros recorded in either of the workbooks I had open at the time. (I don't normally enable macros in my raw data workbooks.)

I hunted through several pages looking for a Restore Defaults option. I tried File->Options->Customize Ribbon->Restore and QuickAccess->Restore. Neither of these worked. The Help? index gave me an idea of what had happened, but I must have missed the information on how to fix it.

I spent about an hour on this before giving up; the search went considerably smoother once I figured out how to shut off the Chinese character function. :D

Thanks,
    Kurt

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

I was hoping that one of the links I posted might help point you in the right direction.
    Unfortunately, at this time, I don't have access to the Office 2010 version.

Let us know if/when you get this solved.
    When I get access to Office 2010, again. I'll take another look.

Another thought. Do you have other languages installed for the:
    Regional and Languages Options > Languages tab > Details button > Settings tab > Language Bar?

5. kurtosis

kurtosis Thread Starter

I thought your links were helpful and will bookmark them for the future.

Yes, I have the language bar. The other people who use the computer switch between languages frequently. They're pretty good about switching back when signing off, so I rarely need to use ALT+SHIFT.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!