1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I restore my lost website using Wayback Machine?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by RobbyC, Apr 1, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. RobbyC

RobbyC Thread Starter

My web host went out of business.... and without any advance notice. So my website is suddenly gone from the web. But I still own the domain name (registered elsewhere). My site has many hundreds of files which are only on an old laptop with an outdated ftp that only runs on Windows XP. But I "saw" the elements of my site at the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine - archive.org - and I am hoping I can use that somehow to get my site back up with a new host. How do I restore my website from the Wayback Machine? Or any other suggestions?

2. Sponsor

3. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Just because the files are on an old machine doesn't matter you still have them. Copy them onto a usb stick, dvd etc on the old machine and then use them on your current machine to upload. If that isn't possible if the old machine is still working then use its old ftp programme to transfer them to the new host or if the new host has cPanel or similar just use a browser and the file upload option.

You may be able to get them from the Wayback machine a page at a time by going to a page then in your browser view source then copy and paste the source into an editor on your current machine. This assumes that it is an html site. I haven't tried this method but it should work but it will be time consuming.

4. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

What browser do you use? Do you know how to view source?

5. CaptObvious

CaptObvious

The only thing you will get from wayback machine are the images and generated HTML. You will not get the backend code or database, if it had any. So that will only help you if it was a static HTML websites.
    I think it is easier to just start from scratch and build a new site. This time make sure you download a backup copy.
    Depending on what you need, you can do it yourself using a website builder. But getting someone else to build you a website need not be expensive either. I do WordPress sites for about £150 for a small site.

6. savvtcinsif

savvtcinsif

If you still own the domain, then you still have recover your website data use wayback machine, but with addition fee. You can pay for them to get data back. Then, submit google to re-index. It's the way PBN owner do the same for get benefits from old domain. So, you can do it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1207804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice