1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I retrieve data from an old hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kimaris, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimaris

kimaris Thread Starter

My laptop is having motherboard issues and is going to need to be replaced. Frankly I'd rather get a new computer all together. Is there a way for me to retrieve the information on that hard-drive.

2. bwilk87

bwilk87

heh, what laptop? I have an HP DV9700 with a motherboard problem too :p, curious if your on the same boat as me, cept I can't get mine replaced, HP won't do anything about it...

but anyways, If you have a desktop PC available with SATA connections (assuming your laptop HDD is SATA), you can take your HDD out of your laptop and actually plug it in to your desktop. After that's done do not boot from your laptop drive, just boot from your normal HDD (so make no changes to boot order) and you can just boot into the windows desktop, go to my computer, and browse all your HDD files.

Couple things to note:
    If you're running Windows Vista on your desktop, careful on the bootup that it doesn't try and format that new HDD you put into your desktop, if it does, SHUT DOWN immediately!! You will need to download a Linux boot disk and boot to linux via the CD and then browse the files that way

If you're running Windows XP it shouldn't do that and you should be able to do as I said and visit my computer and view the files directly

If your laptop HDD is SATA there MIGHT be a converter on the connection for the harddrive which helps connect it to the laptop itself, and it should be removable revealing the sata connections, so go ahead and remove that.

If your laptop is IDE, you can buy an IDE-SATA converter.

Good luck, any questions get back to me

3. Hughv

Hughv

4. raybro

raybro

If both machines are functional and have USB 2.0, a Flash drive is quick and simple to use in transferring data files. its also a useful item to have around later.

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/876211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice