How do I revive a website

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

josh05

My case goes like this, I started working in this company not a very long time ago just some several months back.The company used to have a website that is no longer working (when you type the address in the internet exproler it returns a page can't be displayed window ) I prefer asking these questions in the forum ,what makes a website inactive like this ?.Also I know a bit of html which I think can be used in web development and it would be a personal accomplishment if I would revive the website to be working again.I'm not very conversant with web devp'nt and I would be very happy if someone gives the direction to follow in doing such a task or what I should be equiped with to do this. I dont want to bug the boss with questions ,they may look stupid you know!

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Do they have a domain name?
Can you ping the domain name?
Is there any DNS resolution for this domain name?
Is the web server actually running?

josh05

they do have a domain name .I cant ping the domain name.For dns resolution Iam sorry I dont think I know what a dns resolution is and for web server Iam not very sure if its running or not.

The domain has most likely expired, the DNS is no longer valid and it is probably not hosted any longer. They may be looking at starting from scratch if they do not have a backup of their site.

josh, if you are unable to ping the domain name, ie your ping request returns an error message, it is very likely that the domain name has lapsed.

you may need to re-register the domain name, the are a host of websites that will do this for you, a quick search on google for domain registration will get you started.

when your domain name has been resolved, you will need web space, again a search on google for web space is the way to go.

when you have your web space organised, you can build the new website on your pc, and then ftp it to your webserver.

josh05

wait a minute rockn, does that mean if you dont have a backup of the site and the domain expires you have to start from scratch to design another website?

If the web host no longer has a backup copy of it you are outta luck

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Kind of sounds like your company doesn't have a clue. I was kind of assuming you were hosting your website in house but I guess not. You need to ask your company some more questions about where the website was before. Was it hosted in house or by a hosting company? Are they still paying the hosting company?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online