Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How Do I Save PDF Document?

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
I open my Schwab investment account to download the latest statement. When I select the May statement I am given the option to open the PDF document or save the document. If I download the document I am given no option to save the document to a folder on my computer. If I select "save" , a PDF icon appears in the bottom left hand corner of my computer screen, When I click on the document, it opens but again, there is no option from the open document to "Save" just the option to print or download.

In the past, I could perform a file, save as, and save the document to a folder on my computer, but that option is now gone. I seem to be going in circles and Google search provided no solutions. Can anyone help?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190911205722.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 11, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (860 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 84C1, ver 15.27, s/n PHZYC018JC32HR
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 2, s/n 5CD91576VV
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#3 ·
I open my Schwab investment account to download the latest statement.
What web browser or other app are you using to access the account?

When I select the May statement I am given the option to open the PDF document or save the document. If I download the document I am given no option to save the document to a folder on my computer.
If you have two options, open or save, what do you mean by, "If I download", if that is not one of the choices you mention? I would think that the save option would download the file, but I wish to make sure I fully understand what you are doing at that point.

If I select "save" , a PDF icon appears in the bottom left hand corner of my computer screen,
Is the icon appearing on the desktop or in the taskbar?

In the past, I could perform a file, save as, and save the document to a folder on my computer, but that option is now gone.
If you are using a web browser to perform this action, it is possible that a preference was changed. For example, in Firefox, there is a Tools -> Options -> General -> Files and Applications -> Downloads setting that allows you to always download to a given location or to be asked where you wish to save the download. Perhaps that setting got set to automatically download to the desktop.

#6 ·
What web browser or other app are you using to access the account?

If you have two options, open or save, what do you mean by, "If I download", if that is not one of the choices you mention? I would think that the save option would download the file, but I wish to make sure I fully understand what you are doing at that point.

Is the icon appearing on the desktop or in the taskbar?

If you are using a web browser to perform this action, it is possible that a preference was changed. For example, in Firefox, there is a Tools -> Options -> General -> Files and Applications -> Downloads setting that allows you to always download to a given location or to be asked where you wish to save the download. Perhaps that setting got set to automatically download to the desktop.
When I access my Schwab account, there is a list of statements, Jan, Feb, March, April, May. I select "May" and have an option to download the PDF statement or Save the PDF document.
When I select "download" it opens the PDF statement but there is no option to save it to a folder on my computer.
When I select "Save" the PDF icon appears in the bottom left hand corner of the task bar. I double click the icon and it opens the document just as it does when I download it, but there is no option to save.
I am using Google Chrome as my web browser.

#13 ·
Every computer I have ever owned for the past 20 years has had Adobe Reader installed as part of the software that came with the computer. As a result, I assumed Adobe Reader was the only software program that was available to open and read PDF Files. When Microsoft ceased supporting Windows 7 earlier this year, I continued using my Windows 7 computer and then I decided it was time to purchase a new computer with the Windows 10 operating system before something happened to my 10-year-old computer and I lost all of my data.

I then attempted to download a PDF document on my new computer and noticed the menu bar was missing and I was unable to find a "Save" button to save the document to a folder on my computer. So....I decided to post a question on Tech Support Guy website to see if someone could help me resolve the problem. The replies I received did not work and then DavidA replied with a question, "What PDF reader are you using?" and I thought "Is there a PDF reader other than Adobe Reader?" I checked my new computer and could not find Adobe Reader installed which made me wonder if it's not installed then what program is opening the PDF files?

I then downloaded Adobe Reader and part of the installation process asked me what program did I want to use to open and read PDF documents. Adobe Reader or Microsoft Edge. I selected Adobe Reader, opened the PDF file, and of course all the menu items were there. I then determined that Windows 10 must have a built-in PDF reader and that was the reader that was opening my PDF documents.

While not a computer expert, I have always felt I had a fairly comprehensive knowledge of using a computer but this one threw me for a loop. I'm 83 years of age so perhaps my mind is slipping somewhat. I am feeling rather stupid and embarrassed about my post.

Tech Support Guy website states "There is no such thing as a stupid question" so that helps a little to soothe my embarassment.

#15 ·
I'm glad you posted. I'm in my 70's and am still using Windows 7. I have no intention of using Windows 10 so my hat goes off to you!
I'll do my browsing on my 10.1" android tablet in the future. (I have a case that acts as a stand and I own 2 bluetooth keyboards so it is similar to using a laptop).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.