1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I Secure My Wireless Network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Adame24, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

I am looking to secure my wireless network. I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router. What are the necessary steps needed to perform this procedure?

Adam

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Tell us the exact make/model of the router as well as the make/model of the wireless machines and what version and patch level of Windows they use.

Generally, it will involve accessing the router's web based setup and configuring encryption keys in the wireless section. Then you'll have to connect and supply the same wireless keys for each wireless workstation.

3. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

From the modem I have a Linksys 8 Port Workgroup Switch (Model # EZXS88W) from there I have it connected via Cat 5e ethernet to a Linksys Wireless G Router (Model # WRT54G).

I'm not sure what "Patch Level" means. The laptop is Dell Latitude D610, and it runs on the Windows XP Operating Network.

Adam

4. JohnWill

Just curious, why do you have a switch in front of the router? Do you have multiple public IP addresses and a server connected to the switch? Is that "modem" really a router?

For all the options to secure the network, here's a tutorial: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/wireless/Linksys/WRT54G/WRT54Gindex.htm

Note that I DON'T recommend some of the stuff they tell you to do. Specifically, I would just use WPA encryption with a strong random key (20 char or more) and forget about SSID hiding and MAC filtering.

5. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

I have the switch because I need the extra ports. The router is on the 2nd floor for wireless (I live in an old house with thick plaster walls), and the signal is not the best so I put it upstairs where we would use it. Thanks for the link. I will check it out a report back.

Thanks,

Adam

6. JohnWill

Unless you have multiple public IP address (very rare for residential accounts), you will not have success with that lashup.

What's the EXACT make/model of that "modem", is it really a modem/router?

7. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

Its an RCA Digital Broadband Modem by Thomposon. The model # is DHG536. It serves as my Comcast Digital Voice and Internet Modem.

8. JohnWill

I really doubt you have multiple public IP addresses unless you're specifically paying Comcast extra for them. You need to have the router connected directly to the modem, and the switch on one of the LAN ports of the modem for it to work.

9. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

You mean modem to wireless router and then from a port of the wireless router you can have it going to my switch?

Adam

10. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

Which WPA is the best? I have two options:

WPA Radius
    or
    WPA Pre Shared Key

Also do I want TKIP or AES

11. JohnWill

Well, you can't use Radius without a Radius Server, so you'll be using PSK. Use AES if all your equipment supports it, TKIP is fine as well.

12. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

How do I find my radius server address? Also what is PSK?

Adam

13. JohnWill

You don't have a Radius server, unless you're on a corporate network where they have set one up. :)

PSK - Pre-Shared Key

14. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

Sounds good John. How do I configure my laptops with the wireless router?

15. JohnWill

First, you configure the wireless router. Then you search for wireless networks, and tell it to connect to your network. You'll be prompted for an encryption key, type in the one you assigned when you configured the router wireless encryption.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice