1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I set higher than native resolution on desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GbeTech, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GbeTech

GbeTech Thread Starter

Hello,

I want more work space than my Lenovo ThinkPad E530 currently supplies me with its 1366x768 resolution.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to set it to a higher resolution, say 1920x1080, or something similar with a better aspect ratio, beyond the options Windows gives me.

I'm not interested in it for gaming etc, just Windows and normal programs.

Win7 64
    Built-in Intel HD 4000

I've seen ways to do it with NV/AMD cards but nothing with a simple, built-in card.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click on an empty space on the desktop, then left-click "Screen resolution".

The display window will appear.

The "Resolution" box will list the settings.

---------------------------------------------------------

3. GbeTech

GbeTech Thread Starter

Hey flavallee thanks for the answer. But I'm trying to set a higher than native resolution, which is unnatural. So Windows doesn't give me that option.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You cannot display a desktop that is greater than the resolution of your screen.

However some graphics cards used to let you set the desktop to a higher size and you could scroll around it with the mouse or the arrow keys.
    I haven't seen this for a few years.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 15.6" laptop has a native resolution of 1366 X 768.

There doesn't appear to be a higher resolution option, unless you connect an external monitor to it.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

The resolution that you can attain is a combination of 2 things: a) the capability of your graphics card, b) the capability of your monitor.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice