1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I set up a sync between my documents folder and a spare drive?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DeLorean, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeLorean

DeLorean Thread Starter

I recently moved to a 2TB striped raid setup, replacing a setup where i had several independent disks, many with backups of my important files. Now everything is on the raid setup and i fear that if it fails i'd lose everything, much of which goes back up to a decade.

What I'd like to do is have my 'My Documents' folder mirrored onto an external drive. In the past I'd copy stuff manually, but I have 150+Gb of stuff in there and it's time consuming having to routinely overwrite everything each time i backup, especially since very little may have changed or been added since i last did it.

If I had some sort of mirror or sync set up then it would just replace or update changes I have made to my files.

How would I go about this?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

SyncBack gets mentioned often here.

Myself, I just use a batch file and robocopy, then run it as a scheduled task each day.

Code:
    Set _Src=%Userprofile%\Documents
    Set _Dest=G:\Backups\DeLorean\Documents
    Robocopy "%_Src%" "%_Dest%" /R:2 /W:5 /SEC /E /XO %*
    Switches:
    Code:
    /R   Number of retry attempts
    /W   Time to wait between retries
    /SEC Copy with security, copies Data, Attributes, Timesatamp, and Security info (ACL List)
    /E   Include subfolders
    /XO  Exclude older files
    %*   This lets you add switches from the command line.
    Handy to specify /L to just list files and not actually copy.

Save as backup.bat for example.
    Open a command prompt, navigate to the folder you saved backup.bat in, and type:
    backup.bat - will copy files
    backup.bat /L - will just list but not copy

Once a week add /purge ( or create a 2nd task) to delete files from the backup that no longer exist on the PC.

3. DeLorean

DeLorean Thread Starter

Until I noticed the /XO switch I was about to say "That is not what I'm after", but that looks like a smashing, and small solution. Thanks a lot, Outcaste.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice