1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I set up the FAX without the Win XP instal CD?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by starchild, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I have a 2 1/2 year old Dell XPS 400. It didn't come with an XP reinstal CD, it said this is all built in.
    When I try and set up the FAX (says Rockwell FAX/DATA V90 BVRP) it asks for the WinXP installation CD. I think the instal files/drivers are in the i386 file? I point the FAX installation to this and it says what it needs isn't there.
    I don't know if it has anything to do with the All in One I am using for faxing (ILexmark X1185) I don't fax often, and mainly if someone asks me if I can (for them) I can send faxes using the Lexmark program, but not sure about getting them, so I'd like to have the Fax tool that comes with Windows working.
    When I had a Win98 computer, it came with Ring Central Fax and I got that set up so it worked good (to send and receive faxes) but now I have WINXP and a differnt model printer.
    Is there a way I can find (Ior maybe download) the file it needs that I don't have because of not having the WinXP instal CD?
    I've asked this other places and gotten complicated answers, including I should call DELL and buy (or make them send me) an installation CD!
    I just want to set up the fax in the easiest way.
    Thanks,
    Carrie

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you really do need the installation CD for the Windows XP Fax.

Note that it is for sending only.

If your Lexmark can send faxes it probably can receive them also.

One way to get faxes to your computer is with a program such as the (free or for pay) efax.

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

The Fax that comes with Win XP is for sending only?
    The WIN98 one I used to did both.
    I, myself probably will never have to get or receive a fax but others (my kids) ask me if I can. I have sent faxes using the Lexmark All in One.
    I've looked all over the directions and online about this, getting faxes using it.
    Like would I have to have it turned on (or would it show the fax when I turned it on)?
    I know I have to be offline to use a fax.
    If I knew someone who faxed that could send me one, I could find out what happens. The phone would ring (I wouldn't pick it up) but I'd have to have the Lexmark on and the program (fax) set up, for it to get it?
    Otherwise, it would be getting all my calls that come in (I don't have a separate phone number to fax)
    I feel so dumb and confused about faxing anyway.
    Someone elsewhere (microsoft group) said I should borrow someone's WinXP cd to set it up, I didn't really think of that because I didn't think it was legal.
    And, if the WinXP restore files are built in my computer (somewhere) - why they didn't include the instal CD, wouldn't the file I need to put in the fax also be there?
    Seems like a lot now didn't get a restore CD with their compuer, and a lot also have Vista now.
    It's just something that comes up now and then (faxing) and would be nice to know.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your Windows 98 came with Ring Central Fax somebody must have installed it; it's not part of Windows.

Do you have a link to your Lexmark's user manual?

I don't see how using somebody else's XP CD to install the FAX service is a problem.

Do you have a Recovery partition? If so, maybe you can install the FAX from there, but I don't know the method because I never had an XP Recovery partition.

5. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Now I'm more confused.
    Ring Central Fax was in my computer. I'm the only one that had it (it was a HP Brio, I bought new) I think I went through a Wizard that set it up.
    I don't remember anything too helpful in the booklet that came with it. I just looked online for the manual and all I can find is other people looking for the manual.
    I'd have to find someone with the XP CD to borrow (I was hoping there'd be a file I could download from online. If it's just one file or driver (for the fax?) I remember at times I had a missing or corrupt file with Win98 and could find it to download online.
    I don't know if I have a Recovery partion. How would I find out?
    I just know the computer came from DELL with a paper cut out of a WIN XP CD and said on it none was included, and all that was needed (to restore it) was built in.
    While looking for an answer (what file, and where to find it, where to point it to, instead of the CD-ROM I don't have)I found other places where people had the same problem and were looking.
    I thought the Win instal/restore files were in i386
    I've tried other files/folders on C drive, it says it's not there.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your Restore Partition.

If I were you I'd look for information at the Dell site for how to install the FAX component. If you can't find anything there send them an email question (or call).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice