1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I share data, but not the internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by legohead, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. legohead

legohead Thread Starter

My computers are currently networked. I can share data and internet. I have a D-Link DAP-1522. How do I disable the internet from other devices? I can connect my main computer directly to the Comcast modem for access. But I don't want systems connected to the the access point - via LAN or wireless - to access the internet. i want employees to work and i also want to avoid the internet myself when not working at the main desk.

Thanks.

2. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

If I am not mistaken, there should be a setting within the router that can deny access from the other computers but only allow your computer.

This is called mac filtering.

to do this, you will need to know all of the mac addresses from each computer. No sweat, there is a program for that -
    http://www.colasoft.com/mac_scanner/index.php?act=download_success&v=free

This program will also find the mac addresss that you can enter into the router to deny access or filter out everyone regardless of wifi or lan connected.

I think that in the router settings you should be able to set the mac address filtering to just yours and enable the filtering option.

In netgear, there is an option for this, not 100% sure about d-link

3. legohead

legohead Thread Starter

there is mac filtering, but doesn't that prevent data sharing as well? i want other systems to be able to send data over the network and access network files. i just don't want them using the internet.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are using a router or server does it have the ability to restrict internet access by MAC Address, computer name or IP address?

5. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

the other computers will not be restricted from sharing data if you use mac filtering on the router. The router is the gateway to the internet. If all of your computers are setup INTRANET and the router is the only way to get to the INTERNET then the mac filtering option will be a way to go.

I use the mac filtering to prevent unauthorized access to my lan system regardless if it is wifi or lan and I have done the same at my work. It works and I supervise 15 computers from win 7 to windows XP and there has no been loss of data because they are behind the router.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There is some confusion in how MAC filtering is being used here. Per the OP's specified wireless router and how most SOHO routers work is that MAC filtering only pertains to LAN admission via wireless. In other words, when you set up MAC filtering, you are setting up a list of MAC addresses you are going to allow via wireless to connect to your LAN. In some cases, you might be able to set up a MAC filter rule to exclude certain MACs and allow everyone else. The MAC filtering used in the OP's router will not solve the issue of preventing internet access.

The way most companies will implement this type of restriction is via layer 3 ACLs (access control lists.) Unfortunately, your DLink router does not support this. I also looked at the option of scheduling access. But this only turns wireless access on and off per a schedule. Again this won't solve your problem.

You'll have to invest in a more business grade router to achieve what you're looking to do. For a quick a dirty way to prevent internet access is to remove the default gateway. This will be easy to do if the workstations/clients are operating under DHCP. And this is assuming the users are not network savy and don't have admin rights on their specific workstations.

But the ultimate way to remedy this..... Put in an acceptable use policy and have all your employees read and sign an acknowledgement of being aware of the policy and to abide by the policies. Because, you may not even need to do anything more. Even though they have internet access, you should be able to turn on logging at the router and see who's been going out on the internet. Those that are, you just go to the user who has that IP address assigned to it and hand out a warning. If they repeat this again, you can, without consequences, fire them.

7. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

Not to step on toes....

the latter is a good idea and if i was to do that, i would want to disable the automatic update for the windows system, because the computer itself, if properly configured, will automatically go out and download the update, thus giving the false application that someone is one the network and using the internet.

I have searched and found an application that may be handy:

http://www.browsecontrol.com/

I have heard of this product and it is really good for what it is - control.

8. legohead

legohead Thread Starter

hmmm.... thinking maybe i can just set up a separate network and not connect the internet at all to it. just use the internet on a separate computer.

other than the hardware options, is there any software you can recommend [compatible with both XP and win7] that can manage internet access for different users? at least locally on each PC. of course for the entire network would be better.

9. legohead

legohead Thread Starter

opps looks like i missed the last post by Mr Luthor. I'm a little concerned though since Lex Luthor would never just give advice for the sake of giving advice and nothing in return. What's the catch, Lex?

10. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

No catch.

I overlook several computers at my workplace and I have a different program that watches the amount of usage on each computer through the router. This is handy since I also update the sever and I can see the amount of usage on the lan.

11. legohead

legohead Thread Starter

thanks.

12. zx10guy

I'll have to ask again. Do you have a corporate policy that spells out what is appropriate usage of company IT resources? All of the latest technology you can throw at this means nothing if there isn't a policy that spells out in black and white what the employees can and cannot do.

13. legohead

legohead Thread Starter

zx10guy:

this is a small business. i can tell them not to use the internet, but the furthest someone is away from me is a couple rooms. i don't think anyone is going to go too far out of their way to use it if it's not allowed and some basic restrictions are in place. if nothing comes up when they try to open IE, i think that'll be the end of that.

14. zx10guy

Well, all you have to do is to follow what I said which is go into each computer with admin access and pull out the default gateway if it's statically encoded or change it in the DHCP server to not send down a default gateway. BTW, I hope you're the only one with admin privileges on anything on your network.

The other thing you can do is to just wire up all the computers onto a switch and then make your computer the only one with multi-homed connections where the internet service is only going to your computer.

Also, it doesn't matter how big or small your company is. Having a defined IT policy not only is a best practices but is treated as a requirement from anyone serious about protecting their business from any legal issues.

15. legohead

legohead Thread Starter

thank you, i'll check it out. thank you very much for your promptness. i'm really a bit overloaded and therefore looking for extra help, and therefore trying to get a handle on security. i don't want it to seem i'm not taking anyone's advice. i just need a bit of time to take care of everything.

on that note, is there also a way to disable USB ports as well on guest or other accounts? i am the only admin. are all the things you mentioned above only available on XP or 7 Pro or also on the home editions?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice