1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I stop my XP machine seeing every file on networked Windows 7 machine?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mmaggot, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mmaggot

mmaggot Thread Starter

My problem seems to be the opposite of most people's - I added a Windows 7 laptop to my previously all-XP network without any trouble, simply enrolling the new machine in the existing Workgroup, and everything works fine.

Except for just one snag: from my XP machine I can see every single file on the Windows 7 machine, which raises privacy issues even within a family!

How do I stop this happening, and revert back to the situation I had before, where machines on the network could only see each other's shared folders?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DaveDoesIT

DaveDoesIT

Well, a rough and dirty security fix would be to make sure that "Password Protected Sharing" in the Network and Sharing Center is set to "On." That way the files will be safe but still visible.

Are you logging into w7 with a password?

Create an account below Administrator level with a password and use that.

Theoretically w7 should not allow a drive to be shared, so check all the folders that show the "Share" symbol and set the Share to "Not Shared".

Dave

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

By default only the Public folder is shared.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922805