1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I stop programmes starting at system startup?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Twinspirations, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Twinspirations

Twinspirations Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I have two questions in one, firstly how do I stop certain programs starting at system start up that (second) then run in the background with an icon next to the clock on bottom right tool bar (is this called my system tray?) Hope that makes sense but I'm sure some of these make my computer go slightly slower as there seems to be masses of them!

Thank you for any guidance offered!

2. radspanner

radspanner

3. golferbob

golferbob

4. Gerchan

Gerchan

Well to do this from the start menu select run and type msconfig. Then select the start up tab and from there disable any unnecessary startup programs that you dont want. If you ca reformulate your second question I can respond to it since I haven't understood it>

Hope this helps
    Gerchan

5. Twinspirations

Hey all, right, I've done that and had a system restart but now have a box that appears saying - "You have used the System Configuration Utility (SCU) to make changes to the way Window starts. The SCU is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts. Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the SCU". Then it has a tick box saying "Don't show this message or launch the SCU when Windows start" And a command "OK"

What should I do now?!

Gerchan, sorry for not being overly clear! I guess the second part to my question is once I've stopped programs at system startup whether this will then stop them running in the background and remove the icon from my System tray?

6. randy_california

randy_california

Yes, check the box that says "Don't show this message"
    I guess you've already found out the answer to the second question.
    They will be gone from the system tray and not running in the background because you've stopped them from running at startup.

7. Twinspirations

Do you know something, you're all absolutely amazing, the speed and accuracy of your responses is just phenomenal and you've made a wee young lady very happy indeed as I've been trying to figure that out for ages. Thank you very very much indeed!

8. randy_california

randy_california

Actually you've done yourself a big favor.
    Your computer should run noticeably faster now without all those excess programs running in the background using up high percentages of resources.
    All you really need running are anti-virus, firewall and a few select programs of your choice.
    The good part is that all the programs that you removed from startup will open and work just fine by going to all programs and finding the one you want, or it you have it as desktop icon.
    No need to have a bunch of stuff start running at windows start.

9. Twinspirations

Randy, there's already a difference with just the system startup - far quicker. What will be interesting is whether my overall performance will be better. This computer is relatively new (under 1yr old) but recently it has crashed a couple of times so I wonder whether this tidy up will help. I don't seem to have any viruses, I'm religious with my scans and use spyware having been hijacked when I had a business, following which I installed a server and was firewalled to the hilt! Now I'm just a home user as I'm recently a mum to twins but still try to protect myself as much as pos.

Come to think of it, what do you know about remote working or should I start a new thread?:rolleyes:

10. golferbob

golferbob

why don't you post a hijack log. that way we can see what you have running.

To download HJTsetup.exe fromTrendSecure To Download HijackThis go to the following at the File Repository
    Click on the link below to Download HijackThis Self Installer:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...HJTInstall.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

11. Twinspirations

Golferbob, thank you that would be great, I may have to run it then log in tomorrow as it nearly 10pm here in England & I've got to do my boys late feed then turn in to bed as shattered. When I come back on to post the log will it notify you or should I email you?

Also, next time my system crashes I shall write done the error code, unfortunately when this happens the system has completely frozen so I've been unable to do a print screen to save as an attachment. I've also had problems at system startup with a message that comes up in a box which wont delete and I've had to turn the computer off with the off button as it wont clear through ctl-alt-dlte either.

12. golferbob

golferbob

not a problem,have a nice evening.

13. Twinspirations

Thank you, will be in touch tomorrow. Nice evening - changing nappies and feeding two little mencubs :eek: How my life has changed!! Bfn

14. ggxpress

ggxpress

Ive gone into msconfig and did as specified as I am trying to stop progams from running at startup that I don't need.
    Maybe its just me but it seems I can only enable ALL or disable ALL. I uncheck the programs that I want to keep running and left checks beside the ones I would like to stop.

I then hit disable all (its my only option) and is disabled all (checked and unchecked).

How can I just select certain programs in the list?

Im running Windows XP Home edition.

As always, your input is greatly appreciated!
    GG

15. Hughv

Hughv

It sounds as though you have it backward.
    Check the ones you wish to keep, uncheck the ones you want to stop, then reboot.
    No need to check Disable or enable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/617925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice