1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I stop XP from Auto instal drivers when USB is plugged in for NEW device

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kaaos, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

i want to instal a sound card (USB) and when i plug it in XP installs drivers on its own i want to use the CD drivers. there was an option "have disk" cant find it

2. Claymore

Claymore

Can you let XP install the drivers, then go to Device Manager, locate the Device, right-click, and Uninstall the Device; then put in your CD and install from there?

3. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

that stinks, i could of swore that it would ask me before installing its drivers

4. Claymore

Claymore

Normally it should - with the Add Hardware wizard.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Most USB devices will auto install the XP driver if XP has on. To install the manufacturers driver, you usually have to run their setup program BEFORE you connect the device, they usually state that in the installation guide.

You can try Update Driver from withing Device manager -- that should let you choose where to look; just point it to the CD.

You may be able to just run the setup program from the CD, but you may have to remove the XP driver from Device manager first (while the device is connected) then shutdown, unplug the device, boot, and install the driver from the CD, then plug in the device.

HTH

Jerry

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!