1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I take ownership of Vista Files and Folders?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JoeyG, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

In a Vista Home Premium, I recently had to change a user account's name and permission level to administrator, (The account was the only one named OWNER, It was the default account, and somehow was only a standard user, NOT administrator.) By way of changing the name from owner, to now (Joe) and permission level from Standard to administrator, it seems now I cannot open some of his previously made folders and files, despite giving the new Joe administrator account all permissions, and access I still cannot open them, especially from shortcuts. I believe I may have to "take ownership" of these files that were originally created by the "OWNER" account, but not sure of the exact procedure. Any Suggestions are deeply appreciated.. Thanks..

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

WOW.. Didnt try it yet, But I will let you know as soon as I do.. Thanks again

4. Phantom010

Keep us posted. :)

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Good stuff... Awesome directions!!!! Thanks sooooo much brotha!!!!!!

6. Phantom010

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Aw man, most of the files it worked on, however some have an errors, that say " cannot locate file USERS/MS PUB/ BY5582, because it is either in use or corrupted" Is their anyway I can "refresh" these? They are there I see them, They will just not let me open them, regardless of ownership.. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.. (Again :) )

8. Phantom010

The link between shortcuts and files can often get corrupted. Can you locate the original location of these shortcuts?

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

yes. However I cannot open the source file either, regardless of ownership. I'm a little stuck. I think it was all started when I changed the user accounts name, but then I did change ownership, but some of these (Mostly mspub files) will not open. I'm going to upgrade his office from 2003 to 2007 as well. thx.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice