1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by earguy, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

A friend brought me her computer. It is a Sony Vasio Laptop model: PCG-5K1L. It has a Hitachi 250GB 5400RPM SATA HDD that has failed do to physical damage (she dropped it). Is it possible to move all the data, including the Vista Home Premium OS from the old HDD to a new HDD so she doesn't have to buy a new OS?

She's had the computer for awhile and doesn't have any restore or repair disks. I happen to have a Vista repair disk (from an old laptop). Am I able to install the repair disk on the new HDD and then use the product key on the underside of her computer to install Vista?

Thanks for your help. If this topic has been covered successfully in this forum in the past, just link me to it. I tried looking but am not exactly sure how to phrase the search question. I've looked, but not satisfied with what I have been finding.

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In spite of the physical damage you can still read the hard drive? Try cloning the drive or imaging the needed partitions. I use Macrium Reflect Free. Easeus Todo Backup is another free one, and there are lots more.

Only if the "repair disk" is a Vista installation DVD. Repair disks just include the Recovery Console programs (I probably don't have the correct term there) to fix issues with booting and startup, etc.

3. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

I have the HDD connected to a usb to ide cable and am currently attempting a back-up. I will try what you suggested too.

4. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

The disk I have says Vista Recovery and not re-installation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1108349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice