How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

earguy

A friend brought me her computer. It is a Sony Vasio Laptop model: PCG-5K1L. It has a Hitachi 250GB 5400RPM SATA HDD that has failed do to physical damage (she dropped it). Is it possible to move all the data, including the Vista Home Premium OS from the old HDD to a new HDD so she doesn't have to buy a new OS?

She's had the computer for awhile and doesn't have any restore or repair disks. I happen to have a Vista repair disk (from an old laptop). Am I able to install the repair disk on the new HDD and then use the product key on the underside of her computer to install Vista?

Thanks for your help. If this topic has been covered successfully in this forum in the past, just link me to it. I tried looking but am not exactly sure how to phrase the search question. I've looked, but not satisfied with what I have been finding.

Thanks

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
In spite of the physical damage you can still read the hard drive? Try cloning the drive or imaging the needed partitions. I use Macrium Reflect Free. Easeus Todo Backup is another free one, and there are lots more.

Am I able to install the repair disk on the new HDD and then use the product key on the underside of her computer to install Vista?
Only if the "repair disk" is a Vista installation DVD. Repair disks just include the Recovery Console programs (I probably don't have the correct term there) to fix issues with booting and startup, etc.

earguy

I have the HDD connected to a usb to ide cable and am currently attempting a back-up. I will try what you suggested too.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online