1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I tell if I am overclocking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wikid24j, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wikid24j

wikid24j Thread Starter

I purchased my laptop from IBUYPOWER.com and I wasn't sure if they set it up to overclock or not.

2. BG-0

BG-0

Do you want it not to be overclocked or just want to check? If you want it to stock settings, go to BIOS, find a "load fail-safe defaults" and it's not overclocked.
    To check, you'd need to know your CPU model and use some utility to check if its frequency is at the default level(it would be not oced that way).

Or are you thinking about the graphics card being overclocked, too?

3. hrlow2

hrlow2

If,what you are asking ,is whether you CAN overclock, go to BIOS and look for a setting that enables you to adjust the FSB, Memory latencies, etc. Probably advanced settings.
    Be careful if doing this. Go slowly in small stages and run for a while to check on stability.

4. wikid24j

wikid24j Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, and to answer your question I don't want it overclocked, if it is already. I'm just not sure how to check for it. If it is overclocked, I'd like to undo the overclocking. How do I get to the BIOS, do I hold a certain key when the computer boots?

5. hrlow2

hrlow2

When booting up you will see a screen that tells which button to press to enter Setup.Usually F8, but on my HP its F1. You have to be quick because it doesn't appear for very long.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/790758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice