1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I tell if I have an AGP slot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cottney86, Mar 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cottney86

cottney86 Thread Starter

Is there any easy way to tell whether I have an AGP slot for a graphics card?

Compaq Presario 5000
    AMD Athlon Processor 1.3 GHz
    120Mb RAM
    Windows XP

My current graphics card is:
    S3 Graphics Prosavage Compaq 8Mb

Thank you for any help.

2. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

Your computer is new enough that you almost certainly have an AGP slot. Open your case and you will see a row of slots on the motherboard. ISA slots (which you probably don't have) are long and black. PCI slots are long and white. The AGP slot will be shorter and brown. It's usually the one closest to the power supply...

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Cottney:

Here is an article that you might want to read for your Compaq Presario 5000.

If an AGP slot in present in the motherboard, it will be adjacent to the white PCI slots and towards the center of the motherboard. It will have a brownish color and be shorter in length.

Does your computer currently have a video card in one of the PCI slots, or is it using "on-board" graphics from the motherboard?

4. cottney86

cottney86 Thread Starter

OK. Thanks very much.

5. cottney86

cottney86 Thread Starter

Hmm not sure, I am an absolute novice sorry

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Cottney:

In that case, you might seriously consider having a computer shop upgrade your video card instead of trying to do it yourself.

7. cottney86

cottney86 Thread Starter

Yeah, I probably will, it's just that I wasn't sure whether I could buy a AGP card or not.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    AGP video cards are easier to find than PCI video cards because they're the newer technology. Whether you go AGP or PCI, get a video card with at least 32 - 64 MB of memory. Video cards with 128 - 256 MB of memory are only needed for hard-core gaming and high-end video editing.

9. raybro

raybro

Hi cottney86... Here is a pic of the typical AGP slot arrangement on the mobo.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. cottney86

cottney86 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for all your help. I opened up my pc and it appears I do have an AGP slot. However, there is currently no video card in any of the PCIs or in the AGP. I am meant to have one somewhere though. Will that pose any problems in uninstalling it or anything?

11. raybro

raybro

You have, no doubt, what is called On-Board Video. Which simply means the video circuits are built into the mobo. These can be disabled in BIOS. This would be part of the process of installing the new video card and it's drivers.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    As they say, a photo is worth a 1,000 words.

You might also want to go into the Device Manager, select the display adapter, go into its properties, place a check in "Disable in this hardware profile", then apply the change.

Don't restart your computer when prompted to after doing this, but completely shut it down instead. Open the case, install the video card, close the case, start the computer, then install the drivers from the CD that comes with the video card, per its instructions.

Like I already said, you'd probably be better off having someone knowledgeable do it.

Is there a particular reason why you've decided to upgrade from on-board video to a video card? If you want to reduce the strain on your on-board video, reduce the color palette from 32-bit to 16-bit color and get rid of any fancy wallpaper and screen saver.

13. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

IF you decide to upgrade, go with a 128MB card. The more memory the video card has itself, the less system memory is used. Nothing is to be gained at this time with a 256MB card except they are cheap; ~ $100 or less. Nothing wrong with an ATI 256MB regular, non-Pro card for overall usage for the price.

14. Z80

Z80

WARNING!
    cottney86 I have a Compaq Presario 5000 with AGP, now there are all types of AGP and I wrote HP (they handle tech support now) and asked what type. I was told my (5003US model) has a 4x slot. So I asked around for a card and bought one a week ago. I bought HP Nvidia Quadro2 EX 32MB and never got it working. HP support is not much help either. If I knew half of what I know now I would have gone PCI.

Here's an email that I got telling me where to go.
    ----------------------
    Dear Brian,

I'd like to acknowledge that this e-mail is being sent to you later
    than we would have liked; we've had some technical difficulties that have slowed down our response time considerably.

Most of the time we respond to e-mail within an hour or less, depending on the complexity of the problem. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this delay. And now to the issue at hand:

I recommend that you take your computer to a HP Authorized Support Provider for a detailed onsite diagnosis because there may be a possible equipment malfunction.

If you are experiencing problems with your notebook, HP recommends contacting Circuit City, Best Buy, and RadioShack service providers.

Hope the information helps. If you need further assistance, please reply to this message.

Regards,

Mathews
    HP Total Care
    ------------------------

Oh and BTW if you look in your CMOS at startup the AGP memory is limited to 64MB tops.

Z80

15. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

You are best off taking it in, telling them what you out of the video card, and letting them install it. You could then ask them how they installed it, so you will know for future references. You gotta learn before you can do it yourself :D .

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/215129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice