1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I transfer files between two computers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DDZZ007, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

I have about 200 MB of files I need to transfer from one computer to another, the two computers are both right in front of me. How can I do this, do I need somekind of cables or special software? I have 56K modems and don't want to spend a week downloading stuff I already have.

Thanks for the help!

2. WarC

WarC

There are two options I can think of right off the bat.

First, you could set up a home LAN. Of course, you'll need a LAN card for each comp, a hub, and cable for each, which all told could cost you a good 100-120 dollars.

Secondly, you could buy yourself a CD burner, burn the info on a CD, and then you'd no only be able to get it on the other comp, but you could save it if you reformat your HDD's later on. Plus, you can get one for as cheap as $60 now-a-days.

3. brianF

brianF

If you feel comfortable doing it, take the drive out of the one computer, install as slave on the other, copy the files, then put the drive back into the original computer.

You may have to change jumpers on the drive depending on where you hook it up

4. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

Does it have to be this complicated? I don't want to go out and spend 60 - 200 dollars just to do this one thing. A year or so ago, I remember seen a guy exchange info between his labtop and his desktop, he used a cable to connect the two, but I'm very certain that it wasn't LAN. He did it in dos mode I think. Thanks for the help.

5. WarC

WarC

I'm at a loss.

6. mtrvideo

mtrvideo

A few years back, I bought PC anywhere. It came with the cable to hook up two computers through the parallel port. you can then read the other computer from the host or vice verse...you can also transfer data files, the instructions that came with were pretty self explanatory. I think it sold for around $50.

7. brianF

brianF

Here detailed instructions for direct cable connection, you will have to buy a special cable to do it
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm

Personnally I would rather pull and replace the drive

8. slipe

slipe

Not quite sure how you figure it is going to cost $60 - $200 to temporarily swap one of the HDs. Zero cost and the hardest part of the job is getting the covers off the computer.

The ethernet cost estimate is absurd for what you are trying to accomplish. 10/100 cards are going for less than $5 on Pricewatch, so you should be able to get a couple and a piece of wire for less than $25 in a computer shop. Anything more would be overkill for what you are doing.

What you saw was a null modem cable hookup. It is a cable that makes the data appear to the computer that it is coming from a modem. They come in parallel and serial with the parallel being faster. Both are slow but not a problem with 200 Mb to transfer. He likely had Laplink software for the laptop, but that is also overkill for what you are doing as all the software you need for a simple transfer is built into Windows.

General instructions: http://www.vision.net.au/~timotsc/null/nullmodem.htm
    Cables: http://www.cablesnmor.com/nullmodem.html
    DB9 is serial and DB25 is parallel.

BrianF’s suggestion is far and away the best for a one time transfer of data. It should take only a few minutes and you don’t have to dig up any cards or cables. I haven’t looked, but it might take some calling around to find a null modem cable locally.

9. motocross95

motocross95

crossover cable

10. slipe

slipe

motocross95: Perhaps you could be more specific. I thought a crossover cable required an ethernet card at both ends which he doesn’t have or want to buy.

11. 13buddy

13buddy

DD,
    Did you ever think of a ZIP drive? They come in 100MB and 250 MB sizes and are very handy to have. I use one to transfer data between two computers. When I travel to the other computer I take a zip disk that can be in my shirt pocket and then transfer the data. Pardon me if I missed the question.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice