1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I transfer mail from Outlook Express to Windows Mail?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Alex Ethridge, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I'm trying to get Outlook Express mail into a Vista's Windows Mail and I can't find a straight-forward document on this anywhere.

Now what?

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Select FILE : Import, and then messages and select Outlook express (or OE6) the next click will ask you for the path.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Easy Transfer Wizard can also transfer emails as well as the email settings and address book if you are migrating it from another computer.

4. Alex Ethridge

Triple6,

Thanks for the suggestion; but, the old system doesn't run--bad board. So the transfer wizard is out.

uhaligani,

Following your instructions was pretty straight forward until I located the folder where the DBX files are stored and selected it as the path. Here's a Windows quirk I ran into: If I double-clicked on the Outlook Express folder that contained the files, the wizard entered . . . Outlook Express\Outlook Express as the path. In other words, double clicking the Outlook Express folder doubled the number of Outlook Express folders in the path. I would then get an error message about that folder containing no files to import.

After I cought on to that wierd thing happening and corrected for it, your suggestion worked out fine.

Thanks.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Put the old Outlook Express folder on your new desktop and import from there.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Alex

"uhaligani,

After I cought on to that wierd thing happening and corrected for it, your suggestion worked out fine."

To confirm, it worked out ok?

7. Alex Ethridge

8. parlayin

parlayin

I'm trying to do the same thing but dont know which files are the proper ones for importing. DBX extension?

9. parlayin

parlayin

Okay, on my old computer i see a bunch of files, but they're in different folders. Windows Mail seems to ask for one folder. How do I get all these over there?

my documents\outlook mails
    c:\old internet mail and news
    c:\old outlook mails and addresses
    c:\outlook internet mail and news

10. parlayin

parlayin

dbx files are in all those folders

11. parlayin

parlayin

Copy all those files into one folder and have WIndows Mail import that folder?

12. parlayin

parlayin

nevermind, i got it. thanks!

13. sxr80

sxr80

14. sxr80

sxr80

What was the correction for the problem - I have tried to manually edit the path and there is no way that I can even type a letter or delete the duplication part of the path.
    Thanks, Ken

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In Windows Mail, go to File -> Import -> Messages -> Microsoft Outlook Express 6 -> select Import Mail from an OE6 Store Directory -> then you should get a Browse button.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice