1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I turn off ethernet connection and use Wifi?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by OM2, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:39 AM.

Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I have my laptop connected to ethernet

How do I turn off the ethernet connection and use Wifi?

I'm being lazy and don't want to unplug the ethernet cable :)

Is there a DOS script I can use to switch on and off?

Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. LIS333

LIS333

There are at least 6 different ways to accomplish this, but since you want the easiest way, I recommend you unplug the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

>> I'm being lazy and don't want to unplug the ethernet cable :)
    that's what i said

so give me the other 5 ways

5. LIS333

LIS333

Go to adapter settings, right click the Ethernet adapter and select disable.

6. managed

managed Allan

Then unplug the ethernet cable !

7. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Since that's more time-consuming than it is to unplug the ethernet cable, don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------

8. LIS333

LIS333

Yeah. I suggested that but I guess the sarcasm was to subtle. I don't like to be condescending.

9. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys.
    i think i'd now prefer a command line execution to turn on and off
    any ideas?

u guys are right - not worth the bother :)
    one too many mouse clicks

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Probably the netsh command can do as you want.

For my curiosity, why go to any trouble to use wireless when you are already connected by ethernet and, apparently, do not intend to move the computer?

11. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

IP addresses
    I need to be logged in with another IP to test code i am having developed.
    so i have a mobile wifi dongle. i can connect to it - but then still i am connected by ethernet.
    the switch over by unplugging is painful - takes 2-3 minutes.

netsh - seen the code i need. just condering how to automate and have a single batch file that opens in admin just by being clicked?

12. jenae

jenae

Hi, well it's probably best if you get used to powershell , on my machine I can turn on or off any connection using an elevated powershell command (run powershell as admin).

To find all your connections at the prompt type:- get-netadapter (press enter) Note what it says under "Name" in my case very simple "ethernet" for one and "wifi" for the other. Now to disable ethernet, type:-

Get-NetAdapter -Name ethernet* | Disable-NetAdapter (press enter), you will be prompted to confirm, press Y and enter.

To enable type:-

Get-NetAdapter -Name ethernet* | Enable-NetAdapter (press enter) you are not prompted the connection is simply enabled.

It is possible to run this without a confirm prompt, the cmdlet is different.. not needed here.

EDIT:- just read your last post to run without a confirm prompt:-

Disable-NetAdapter -Name ethernet -Confirm:$false

Enable-NetAdapter -Name ethernet -Confirm:$false

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM
  13. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

never used powershell :)
    is that a superior thing to DOS?

14. jenae

jenae

Hi, well yes it is, MS are slowly deprecating command.exe in favour of powershell, which still contains the old command.exe (to invoke cmd in powershell simply type cmd.exe, press enter)

Powershell has been around for a long time the latest v5 is integrated into windows ten.

It provides much greater control over the windows shell and is very useful for forum type solutions, takes some getting used to, as did DOS when you see it for the first time. However when I use it on forums (such as this one) all the thread starter usually has to do is copy and paste (even this has changed, with PS you can copy text and right click anywhere in the PS window and the text will append to the prompt, I always run PS as admin).

I strongly urge all of you to start using it, many of the questions asked here have powershell solutions.

Here is a brief explanation:-

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-powershell-what-can-you-do-it

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185476