how do I turn off xp auto install?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mocboy

does anybody know how to turn off xp's new hardware auto install? I have a new ati card and windows installs its own drivers for it and I think its messing it up. I want windows to ignore it and let me install my own drivers.

thanks,
Mocboy

When it tries to install the drivers does it give the option to select specific location for drivers ?

mocboy

no all it does is bring up a auto install icon next to the clock and it reads out the progress. it just says it found new hardware, identifies it then says its installed.

well then go to device manafer and right click on the item and Uninstall its drivers or select update the drivers then use your own.

mobo said:
well then go to device manafer and right click on the item and Uninstall its drivers or select update the drivers then use your own.

there's a problem there. Often, when you uninstall something, it tells you it won't take effect until you restart. Well, when you restart, it just reinstalls what you just uninstalled.

I have a similar problem...I have an onboard graphics card, and a PCI video card. Every time I restart my computer, XP re-installs the onboard card and a couple of 'unknown devices' along with it, without prompting me. You can't click on it to cancel or anything.

Anyone have any idea how to disable this in XP? I've looked all over the control panel and can't seem to find an option to do this anywhere. :confused:

You have to let windows install the generic drivers before you install the ATI drivers. It is the way it is done.

It won't work any other way.

nhlfan2004 said:
there's a problem there. Often, when you uninstall something, it tells you it won't take effect until you restart. Well, when you restart, it just reinstalls what you just uninstalled.

I have a similar problem...I have an onboard graphics card, and a PCI video card. Every time I restart my computer, XP re-installs the onboard card and a couple of 'unknown devices' along with it, without prompting me. You can't click on it to cancel or anything.

Anyone have any idea how to disable this in XP? I've looked all over the control panel and can't seem to find an option to do this anywhere. :confused:
In your case you have to disable the onboard in the bios.

Skivvywaver said:
In your case you have to disable the onboard in the bios.
tried that. no option to do that anywhere. since i have selected my PCI card as the primary display device in my control panel, when i go into the BIOS, it will only let me tinker with the NVidia card.

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Is the card properly installed? It might help to re-seat it just to make sure it is fully home.

RAM-PAGE said:
Is the card properly installed? It might help to re-seat it just to make sure it is fully home.
oh the PCI card works just fine. in fact, that's what my computer's using right now. Guess I'll just have to keep re-uninstalling that stuff everytime i boot up my PC. Gotta admit I'm aggrivated XP doesn't give you the option of turning off that Found New Hardware BS and installing it without even prompting you. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is causing problems for.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts