How do I uninstall IE 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cybernana

How do I uninstall IE 7 and go back to the old version. I don't like IE 7. I use Firefox most of the time but sometimes you need Internet Explorer.

TerryNet

Terry
Just use Add/Remove Programs to remove 'Windows Internet Explorer 7.' IE6 will be "uncovered" and available for use.

Just curious--as a Firefox user how is it that you prefer IE6 to IE7?

EDIT: Of course, I am assuming you have XP. With Vista I doubt that you can or would want to uninstall IE7.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
If you allow "automatic updates" from M$, IE 7 will be reinstalled. You have to use "Custom" mode with "auto" disabled. M$ will tell you every time you do a manual update run that you have stopped a "critical" update(s). Just ignore.

I do a manual update the middle of each month, since M$ posts updates on the second Tuesday.

{redoak}

cybernana

TerryNet,

Yes I am use XP, but a lot of my pages will not completely load, sometimes it just freezes. Also HP has problems scanning.

don't like the look and feel as well as IE 6. Any suggestions?

TerryNet

Terry
HP may have a patch for the scanning problem; for me the HP Director stopped working but I found an acceptable (for me) work-around before I realized that IE7 had caused the problem.

I forgot about that glitch that redoak pointed out. I use automatic notification (but not auto download) so that's another way to get notified of updates w/o getting IE7 reinstalled.

We all have our own likes and dislikes--I'm just surprised (not that it matters one iota) that a Firefox user would like the look and feel of IE6 better than IE7. I only use IE when forced to, but could probably get used to IE7.

cybernana

TerryNet,

Yes I only use Firefox most of the time but in order to update microsoft, I thought you had to use IE. Maybe I am wrong.
Cybernana

TerryNet

Terry
There are Firefox add-ons that allow you to view sites with IE rendering. One claims they can even do Windows updates. Search for "firefox ie tab" if you are interested.

Like you, I use IE for Microsoft/Windows updates.

Don't be upset by my questions about IE6 vs. IE7. I'm just curious is all.

cybernana

TerryNet,

I really appreciate any help that you can give me and I hope that you didn't think I was upset. I am new to most of this and I can use all the help I can get. I will search out the ie tab and use it.

Please any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

cybernana

TerryNet,

Also when you say search out the ie tab do I do that at the firefox site?

TerryNet

Terry
I used the Google search engine, but yahoo, MSN, etc., should work just as well.

cybernana

TerryNet,

I found the IE tab and installed it. Will this mean that I can now update Microsoft in FireFox without having to go onto IE?

Cybernana

TerryNet

Terry
Don't know. See post #7 for the extent of my knowledge on this. I've never tried.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.